MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's upcoming futuristic drama series "See" gained a new cast member today, with actress Alfre Woodard signing on to play Paris, an advisor and a priestess, reports Variety.

Woodard has starred in movies that include "12 Years a Slave," "Annabelle," and "Captain America: Civil War," and she has had roles in several TV shows, such as "Luke Cage," "Desperate Housewives," and "State of Affairs."

alfrewoodard-800x444.jpg
Alfre Woodard in "Luke Cage"​

Casting for "See" began earlier this month with Jason Momoa set to play the lead role of Baba Voss, a fearless warrior, leader, and guardian. Momoa is well-known for his role as Khal Drogo in "Game of Thrones," as well as roles in "Aquaman," "Stargate Atlantis," and "Conan the Barbarian."

"See" has been described as an epic world-building drama that's set in the future, with little additional information available on the series at this time.

Along with "See," Apple has more than a dozen other original TV shows in the works, and rumors have suggested the first of those TV shows could debut in March 2019.

We don't yet know how Apple plans to distribute the television shows, but the Cupertino company may be considering launching a new streaming video service to be bundled with an Apple Music subscription and a digital magazine and news subscription.

Article Link: Alfre Woodard Joins Cast of Apple's Upcoming Futuristic Drama Series 'See'

ph001bi

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2015
London

Apple's upcoming futuristic drama series "See" gained a new cast member today, with actress Alfre Woodard signing on to play Paris, an advisor and a priestess, reports Variety.

Woodard has starred in movies that include "12 Years a Slave," "Annabelle," and "Captain America: Civil War," and she has had roles in several TV shows, such as "Luke Cage," "Desperate Housewives," and "State of Affairs."

alfrewoodard-800x444.jpg

Alfre Woodard in "Luke Cage"
Casting for "See" began earlier this month with Jason Momoa set to play the lead role of Baba Voss, a fearless warrior, leader, and guardian. Momoa is well-known for his role as Khal Drogo in "Game of Thrones," as well as roles in "Aquaman," "Stargate Atlantis," and "Conan the Barbarian."

"See" has been described as an epic world-building drama that's set in the future, with little additional information available on the series at this time.

Along with "See," Apple has more than a dozen other original TV shows in the works, and rumors have suggested the first of those TV shows could debut in March 2019.

We don't yet know how Apple plans to distribute the television shows, but the Cupertino company may be considering launching a new streaming video service to be bundled with an Apple Music subscription and a digital magazine and news subscription.

Article Link: Alfre Woodard Joins Cast of Apple's Upcoming Futuristic Drama Series 'See'

She's a brilliant actress. Hoepfully the scenario will be up to the task, and the marketing better handled than for Planet of the Apps.

Comment

CarlJ

macrumors 603
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
She's a brilliant actress. Hoepfully the scenario will be up to the task, and the marketing better handled than for Planet of the Apps.
One can hope that Planet of the Apps was basically there to test out all the show-making-and-promoting machinery (I've heard industry folk say, "well, the production values were very high"), and with that behind them, upcoming shows will run smoothly while offering more compelling content.

Reactions: dan110
Comment

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
She was horrible in Luke Cage.
Especially season 2.
Affair with Shades was cringe worthy.
Never should have killed off Cottommouth in Season 1.
Glad she’s off the show, her facial expression were creepy.
She tryin’ to go gangster was just not believable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fzang
Comment

Elwe

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2006
Especially season 2.

I disagree. I thought she was great in Luke Cage Season 2, and probably gave the best overall performance this past season. Several of the central characters in the show are almost “cartoonish”, of course—it is a “cartoon”— but she mostly seemed believable to me.

Comment

Scooz

Suspended
Apr 9, 2012
Especially season 2.

Thanks, I thought I would be the only one that thinks her acting is often a bit over the top and static.

I know, we all should just say good, but this sometimes really annoys me as she really is a good type and there are some „auto-fitting“ roles, but I would love to see her more relaxed and skilled sometimes instead if overacting with some strange pressure behind everything, but no real pacing.

Reactions: sinsin07
Comment

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
I disagree. I thought she was great in Luke Cage Season 2, and probably gave the best overall performance this past season. Several of the central characters in the show are almost “cartoonish”, of course—it is a “cartoon”— but she mostly seemed believable to me.
Well if you over go back and watch any of season 2 look at her acting compared to Simone Missick (Misty).
You knew when just from facial expression and body language when Misty was being sarcastic, when she pissed and when she thought you were out of your freakin mind. Her line delivery was on point.

The introudtion of Bushmaster shouldn’t be overlooked as a “best performance”.

On the other hand Woodard couldn’t even keep her head still, she looked like a freaking bobble head. Its like she ddin’t know what to do with her head. Look at S2E2 at the 21:08 and 21:57 minute mark for example. And that is throughout the entire series. Her line delivery was poor, especially when started thinking she was gangster.
Killing Cottonmouth was a bad move. He had the gangster look and skills.

That’s just my take on it.
Everyone has different opinions and I respect yours.
I’m just glad Luke Cage scored number 27 out of 73 Netflix original Series and hopefully there will be a season 3.
Best Netflix Orignal Shows Ranked

Comment

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I personally can't juggle another subscription service. Cable cutting is evolving into a higher expense and great hassle than cable ever was lol.

Comment

ScholarsInk

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2010
She’s a major actresss but I don’t think her 30 second appearance in Captain America counts as one of her starring roles.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.