Algebra equation solver

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by EmperorDarius, May 23, 2009.

1. EmperorDarius macrumors 6502a

Is there any software such as Algebrator, in which you basically enter the equation and it solves it, step by step, for you, available for OS X?

2. MAC-PRO-DEMON macrumors 6502a

MAC-PRO-DEMON

That would be cheating no?? But maybe try out Wolfram|Alpha... that might give you some greif!!

3. MAC-PRO-DEMON macrumors 6502a

MAC-PRO-DEMON

As I said... that would be cheating to get an application to do it for you... If you need to do it... then you should be clever enough to do it on paper... My & Miles prefered way...

4. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

5. MAC-PRO-DEMON macrumors 6502a

MAC-PRO-DEMON

6. EmperorDarius thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't use it to solve problems... I use it to check if what I've done is right, and if its wrong, Algebrator actually explains what's going on.

Yeah but I can't insert special characters like square root etc.

7. MAC-PRO-DEMON macrumors 6502a

MAC-PRO-DEMON

Square Root is Option-V (√).. and so on and so on and so forth.. you just keep going around the keyboard... and you get there someday (Or you could just learn them)... in the end... you could just go and get Mathtype for doing the "special characters"...

[​IMG]

8. MaTUC macrumors regular

You could try running Algebrator on Parallels Desktop (or any VM) or Maple.. but.. it doesn't solve them step by step and it's $99.00

It runs on Leopard... :)

9. nanofrog macrumors G4

Perhaps MathCAD, but it would require running it in a VM or booting into Windows. It's slightly more expensive than Algebrator at $125USD, but it does show the steps. :)

10. Amigaman macrumors regular

Amigaman

You might as well pay for the native OSX version of Algebrator and be done with it.

11. MaTUC macrumors regular

ha! .. nice one.. didn't notice Algebrator has a native OS X version :p I'm getting it !

12. Shrink macrumors demi-god

Shrink

Nice to know the youth of America are so committed to actually learning something, rather than depending on electronics to do their learning (and thinking?) for them.:rolleyes:

Don't bother to actually learn math, or grammar, or spelling , or anything - electronics will do it for you. :(

Scary...

13. nanofrog macrumors G4

I realize your point, but such applications can actually help a student learn (i.e. they can check their homework solutions against the software, and figure out where/how they made mistakes).

I mention this, as not all professors can actually teach well, may not want to teach (there for research and consider class instruction demeaning/wasteful of their time), post homework solutions (let alone step by step), can't/don't take questions in class, or have enough office hours to help their students outside of class.

Just a thought anyway... ;)

14. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Maybe the youth of America have improved? This thread is over two years old.

15. EvenStranger macrumors member

They haven't improved much... our neighbor's teenage daughter, a high school senior, needed help with algebra. She's punching in single digit equations on a calculator (6x4, 9-2) and doesn't even consider doing the math in her head.

16. MstrPBK, Mar 10, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2013

MstrPBK macrumors newbie

MstrPBK

Algrebra Equation Solver ...

Let's start with some facts ...

· I am 55 years old (not some youth)
    · I have 3 sight impairments
    · I am attending DeVry University (I would say that is a pretty reputable university)
    · The Instructors THERE strongly encourage their students to use calculators for class and for use during quizzes and tests.

While calculators help me learn Algebra I do not depend on the calculator. I take the time to fully understand why the math works and how the math is put together. For me the calculator prevents errors that might other occur.

With the computing industry slanted towards windows the OP, I believe, had a valid question.

Respectfully Submitted,

Peter Kelley
    St. Paul, MN USA

P.S, Personally life is about helping people. not tearing them to bits.

17. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

This is a very old thread.

I'm 64 and teach electrical engineering courses in digital design. IMHO, there is nothing whatsoever wrong with using calculators or computer programs to solve problems as long as you understand the mathematics behind them. That way they are tools to save time rather than crutches. (Not that crutches aren't tools, but you get my point!)

Last week I was showing how to design circuits to multiply and divide, showing first the mathematics of long multiplication and division in decimal and then how it applies to binary. On a whim I asked the class if they perform basic arithmetic by hand and if they at one time learned to do so. No one did it by hand anymore but learned it in grade school. They didn't seem to have any problems grasping what I was doing with the circuits (although I'll know better when they complete the assignment on it!).