Alias file stuck in Trashcan

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mindcrash, Mar 20, 2008.

1. mindcrash macrumors member

mindcrash

So I've had this alias file stuck in my trashcan for sometime now and I can't figure out how to get rid of it. It has a bizarre, gibberish filename that I can't even find the characters or symbols to type it out, so see the picture attached.

Do any of your gurus out there know how I can get rid of this file once and for all?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

Hold down option while you empty the trash. If that doesn't work then you need to tell us what the Finder is telling you when you try to delete it. Where did the file come from? Are you sure it's really something that should be deleted?

4. mindcrash thread starter macrumors member

mindcrash

Finder acts like it deletes it, no special message is given. But it never empties and that file remains.

I have no idea where the file came from, it just showed up in there one day.

I haven't tried rm yet because I don't know where to find the directory that trash is located in. Spotlight couldn't find it and none of my fumbling around could either.

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'm not guessing but you might want to start in ~/ with a ls -a

Your trash can is located in ~/.Trash

6. mindcrash thread starter macrumors member

mindcrash

Ahh, thanks.

Only problem is that a ls -al in ~/.Trash shows that it's empty.

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Try a ls -a for ~/.Trash as well. I've found very few files that can't be seen via Terminal.

The only times I've found such discrepancies between Terminal and Finder was over NFS in Tiger.

8. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

I'd verify your disk with disk utility before doing anything else.

9. iamnotmad macrumors newbie

I recently developed this too. dir shows empty from terminal. click and dragging the aliases ( I have 3 of them) make them disappear temporarily. They re-appear within a few minutes. Have you gotten yours to go away?

10. mindcrash thread starter macrumors member

mindcrash

Nope, I haven't solved it yet. It's not too worrying, just slightly annoying.

11. iamnotmad macrumors newbie

figured out what this is. Basically at least. It is related to a bootcamp partition I have in fat32 which I also used with VMWARE fusion. I booted wxp and did a chkdsk (from c: drive properties, you'll have to reboot for it to run) and it repaired the problem. shut it down and the files in the trashcan are gone.

try it!

12. Trip.Tucker Guest

You know you can just delete the .Trash folder and it will be recreated on a restart/login.

13. iamnotmad macrumors newbie

I tried that, and it did not get rid of the files.

14. mindcrash thread starter macrumors member

mindcrash

Worked for me...you sir are a scholar and a gentleman!

15. aggie macrumors newbie

Hey! I just had a similar problem... files stuck in the trash, tried everything suggested, but nothing worked. The chkdsk comment rung a bell though... I realized the file appearing in my trash wasn't in my ~/.Trash. It was in /Volumes/<my thumb drive>/.Trashes. I ran a chkdsk on it from Windows, which showed a bunch of errors. Then I simply deleted the .Trashes directory from that thumb drive. Sure enough, my stuck files were gone. So, lesson learned is the trash can shows more than just ~/.Trash... look at your mounted volumes for their .Trashes too. I hope this helps someone in the future.

16. iansmiley macrumors newbie

chkdsk worked for me

Thanks for the great info. I just used chkdsk /F from withing my bootcamp install of windows XP and that did the trick, my trash can is finally empty again.

17. arielt macrumors newbie

Had a similar problem

Hi,
    I had a similar problem with an Alias file that I wasn't able to delete. Even though I have VMWFusion installed it had nothing to do with Windows. The file was originally on an external hard drive.

I found out that it had to do with a problem in the disk. After using Disk Utility to repair both the external disk the file was also removed from the trash.

Ariel