Alias Icons giving an "eject disk error"??? ::HELP::

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Joele25, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Joele25 macrumors newbie

I put three Icons (alias) pointing to the folders on my NAS on my desktop to make it easier to get to folders that I use frequently. My NAS is set to shut down at 11:30 PM nightly and I put my machine to sleep when not in use. When I wake it up I am always getting an error pop up telling me "The disk was not ejected properly. If possible, always eject a disk before unplugging it or turning it off."

The only issue I have is it does it every time I put it to sleep and wake it up, even if the NAS was not on. So that being said, it never established the connection to the server. Why does it always pop up with this error if it has not connected? Is there another way to create a shortcut to a destination on a server or another mac? Am I doing it wrong? Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks, Joe

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

That error occurs because Mac OS X does not (and can not) retain connections to network resources when it goes to sleep. NAS devices are a little different - rather than being treated like network shares, they're treated as external disks. "Normal" external disks will of course give the eject error described if yanked from the computer without ejecting them properly. Does that make sense?

Of course, this means that there isn't an easy fix, short of clicking the eject icon next to your mounted NAS before sleeping your Mac.

3. Joele25 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea, It makes sense, I was just hoping there is another way to retain the shortcut and not get the error.

Do you know another way to do this or is this how it has to be?