Alias sizes have been fixed?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by EmilyED, Jul 12, 2017.

1. EmilyED macrumors newbie

I think it was with Leopard that alias sizes on Mac ballooned, usually well over a megabyte in size. But I just upgraded to Sierra and alias sizes are now back to being tiny (for newly created; it doesn't convert old ones).

I did some googling but can't find any comment on this. Does anybody know the details?

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I didn't notice aliases being huge in Leopard or Snow Leopard. I think you had "issues". But, do you know of this being a widespread problem?

3. neeklamy macrumors newbie

I remember this, but it was some time ago and I don’t recall when aliases bloated up.

Over on the Apple Support Communities there’s this from 2012:

On the Ask Different site there’s this Q&A:
    Some speculation over on Super User on whether the Finder was being truthful (talks about resource forks), ‘Why are Mac OS X alias files so large?’ and some thoughts on what aliases were pointing to in this Snow Leopard era question, ‘Size of Alias files’.

It looks like the alias sizes crept upwards since 10.5. And disappointingly I couldn’t find any mention of wayward alias sizes in any of the otherwise thorough John Siracusa Mac OS X reviews. The closest thing is a mention in Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard review: Time Machine Internals (but no mention of file sizes).