Alias to a shared drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JustGretchen, Feb 5, 2009.

1. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

I have a second hard disk in my G5 that I can access by opening a finder window and clicking on my G5 in the "shared" area on the left in the sources list...

However I'd simply like to make an alias to that drive on my desktop...I can't seem to do it though.

I'm sure this is easy, and I did it before, but for some reason I can't seem to figure out how to do it again...

Thanks

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Hold command+option and drag the drive icon to your desktop.

3. JustGretchen thread starter macrumors 6502

see it's not showing up as a drive...more a folder. Thats what I kinda don't get...In a way I wish Leopard was like 10.3 and 10.4 in that it had a "network" icon instead of "shared" area at the left.

"Space" is the drive I want to connect to, which by clicking on, I can see what's there and do what I want on it, but I want to make an alias of it.

Attached Files:

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

It's still there. You can access it through the Go menu in Finder.

And you can't do so by command+option+dragging?

Finder -> Preferences -> General -> Show these items on the desktop: -> Connected servers

5. JustGretchen thread starter macrumors 6502

I did a clean install for the first time in a long time and I completely forgot about finder preferences. Thats where the option is. Finder isn't something I often think about having it's own preferences other than command J view prefs... ya know?

Thanks for refreshing me!