Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danb77

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2007
I like storing files in Folders on my Hard Drive, but I love iCloud. How can I combine the two?!

Is there a way of creating a hardlink or alias on my hard drive that points to an iCloud doc? Any suggestions?

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
I like storing files in Folders on my Hard Drive, but I love iCloud. How can I combine the two?!

Is there a way of creating a hardlink or alias on my hard drive that points to an iCloud doc? Any suggestions?

There is an actual folder in your Library that holds the latest version of your iCloud files for specific applications (I'm not sure where, maybe someone can chime in).

However, I know that iCloud currently isn't supposed to act like DropBox. DropBox seems like more likely what you want (store files locally on your Mac, and have them in the cloud to access on iOS/Android/wherever). I love iCloud too but for some reason, Apple doesn't want an iDisk/DropBox for iOS.

DanTheAppleMan

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2012
UK
iCloud documents can be found amongst others in 'All My Files' in finder, can't seem to create an alias though.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
There is an actual folder in your Library that holds the latest version of your iCloud files for specific applications (I'm not sure where, maybe someone can chime in).

~/Library/Mobile Documents/<app identifier>/Documents .

I dragged the iCloud document folder for GoodReader (iOS) into the Dock to create a Stack which I can now easily use to exchange files between the iPad and the Mac. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.