Alias wont work after reboot.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mcsolas, Feb 16, 2013.

1. mcsolas macrumors regular

I really like to put the active projects I have on the desktop for quick reference. I create an alias, put it there and it work from there. I usually trim off the "Folder Name Alias" it creates back to just "Folder Name" so it looks cleaner on the desktop. However, on reboot, this alias wont work. It asks me to fix it. Happens every time. :confused:

Im using OSX 10.8.2. This has happened several times now. At first it was hard to figure out why they wouldn't work the next day until I realized the reboot seemed to break them. I hope there is a fix. is this a common problem?

2. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

Same thing happens to me. However if I don't rename it (trim off "alias"), then the problem does not occur.

Another approach you might want to try if the "alias" string really bugs you is to create a symlink. To do this, open terminal then use the commands below. In this example, you would be creating a link called foo to a folder in your Documents folder also named foo.

Code:
    cd ~/Desktop
    ln -s ~/Document/foo foo

One thing to keep in mind with symbolic links is they will not know if you move the referenced item.

3. mcsolas thread starter macrumors regular

I was thinking that was part of what caused them to break. I like to use the acronym or make one up so most of mine in the past would just be a few letters long. I made one yesterday and renamed it but it still works. Strange enough.. I'm still hoping to figure it out, even if I have to leave the alias text there. I would really like to avoid dropping into terminal to setup something basic like this, although I will still learn how to do it..