Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CommodityFetish

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 31, 2006
Syracuse, NY
I just tried to make an alias of an application in OS X 10.4.6 and the "Make Alias" option remains grey in the File menu...

Has this been removed as part of the recent security fixes? I know I was able to do it before...

:confused:

CommodityFetish

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 31, 2006
Syracuse, NY
Aha!

I figured it out...

You can only do it if you're logged in as an admin. Which I am generally not for security reasons... So to get aliases of apps you have to login as admin, make the alias and then share the file with your other non-admin account...

;) :cool:

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I made a folder named Apps containing aliases of my favorite applications. I have that folder in the dock, so I can click-and-hold the folder to pick an application to launch.

That gives me one more way to launch commonly-used apps, and it doesn't require opening a Finder window.

You can even give the Apps folder (or whatever you call it) a custom icon to make it look especially inviting.

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
I was told that there was some way I could put nested folders of application aliases divided by type (utility, productivity, or whatever I wanted), but I can't figure out how to put a folder into the Apple Menu. Is the Apple Menu a folder somewhere on my disk?

realityisterror

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2003
Snellville, GA
netdog said:
I was told that there was some way I could put nested folders of application aliases divided by type (utility, productivity, or whatever I wanted), but I can't figure out how to put a folder into the Apple Menu. Is the Apple Menu a folder somewhere on my disk?

Try this application: http://www.unsanity.com/haxies/fruitmenu

It's technically a "hack" as the link implies, and may cause problems as it's changing operating system files, but I'm sure you'll be alright.
:)

thewhitehart

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2005
The town without George Bailey
I find it cool that OS X has so many different ways of accessing applications. I type fast, so I prefer to use Spotlight for icons not in the dock. I never really liked aliases, they remind me of the Windows desktop.

Not that anyone cares what I like :p

By the way, I noticed that the option is greyed out too. Yet howcome I can option + command click the app and drag it as an alias to the desktop. Isn't that the same thing? Or is the original poster talking about something different?

CommodityFetish

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 31, 2006
Syracuse, NY
thewhitehart said:
By the way, I noticed that the option is greyed out too. Yet howcome I can option + command click the app and drag it as an alias to the desktop. Isn't that the same thing? Or is the original poster talking about something different?

Hmmm... Good call! This works for me as well, and beats having to login as an admin to get an alias of an app. Seems like this is an oversight -- that it still works, while the menu option is greyed out...?

Doctor Q said:
I made a folder named Apps containing aliases of my favorite applications. I have that folder in the dock, so I can click-and-hold the folder to pick an application to launch.

That gives me one more way to launch commonly-used apps, and it doesn't require opening a Finder window.

I've got the same going here. Using this the way I used the apple menu in OS 9. I find it a little slow to display after the click-and-hold (or right click...) though. Wish it were snappier. Maybe on a new machine it will be...

:p

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
thewhitehart said:
Are you sure you're not making a copy of the application. Do a CMD-I on your "alias" and see what it says.

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs
CommodityFetish said:
Hmmm... Good call! This works for me as well, and beats having to login as an admin to get an alias of an app. Seems like this is an oversight -- that it still works, while the menu option is greyed out...?

I think it simply has to do with folder access. Your non-admin account probably does not have write access to the Applications folder and thus, cannot make an alias there. However, your desktop does have write access so you can do the command-option-drag to create the alias there.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
CommodityFetish said:
I figured it out...

You can only do it if you're logged in as an admin. Which I am generally not for security reasons... So to get aliases of apps you have to login as admin, make the alias and then share the file with your other non-admin account...

;) :cool:

The reason is, as a non-admin you shouldn't be able to write to the /Applications directory, hence, not being able to create an alias.

D'oh. Note to self: Read all of the thread before responding.

CommodityFetish

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 31, 2006
Syracuse, NY
atszyman said:
I think it simply has to do with folder access. Your non-admin account probably does not have write access to the Applications folder and thus, cannot make an alias there. However, your desktop does have write access so you can do the command-option-drag to create the alias there.

Aha! That makes sense. And it is indeed the case when I tried it out. Thanks! :)

EricN95033

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2006
Boulder Creek, CA
Even a non-admin can make an application alias

You cannot make an application alias using the "Make Alias" menu item for the reasons mentioned in this discussion. However, if you drag an application icon out of the protected Application folder and drop it on your desktop while holding down the Option-Apple keys, then an alias will indeed be created.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.