Aliases (on the Dock and elsewhere) randomly switching to random targets

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dolphin842, Oct 13, 2007.

1. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

dolphin842

Hi all,

I've had a conundrum with my first-gen intel iMac for some time. Every now and then, for no reason I can discern, a handful of aliases will switch to random targets. By random I mean anything from different folders, to random .nib files inside of Mail.app (instead of iTunes), a German ReadMe.rtf inside of Installer.app (instead of NetNewsWire), a .sty file instead of the WMV video launcher app, and a PkgInfo file deep inside iWeb (instead of System Preferences).

I'm starting to get a bit worried, because these are just some of the broken aliases I've found; I don't know how far this extends to aliases I don't use that often.

Any suggestion on what could be the case? Is a call to AppleCare in order?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Very weird. Verify your drive in Disk Utility and repair permissions while you're there. How much free space do you have on your boot drive? Have you used any apps to trim your system files down, such as Monolingual? :)

3. dolphin842 thread starter macrumors 65816

dolphin842

The disk verifies... I've got 1/2 of the 160GB drive free, so things shouldn't be cramped. I didn't use monolingual to remove language files, though when I did a formal reinstall last year I unchecked some of the languages.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

5. dolphin842 thread starter macrumors 65816

dolphin842

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Good stuff. Did the permission repair from Disk Utility come up with any changes? :)

7. dolphin842 thread starter macrumors 65816

dolphin842

It corrected a few... here's the output:

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Since the permissions repair, has this happened to any new aliases?

9. dolphin842 thread starter macrumors 65816

dolphin842

Not yet... the occurrence of this behavior is pretty sporadic, so I'll have to keep an eye on it.

In any event, if I end up getting Leopard, I'll probably do a clear install anyway.

10. dolphin842 thread starter macrumors 65816

dolphin842

lol... it's happened again. This time the iCal alias on the dock changed to "man.tmac" which is in the folder /usr/share/groff/1.19.1/tmac/

Thankfully only a week til Leopard, between this and a half-broken WebKit, I think this seals the deal for me as far as a clean install is concerned.

EDIT: some more poking around in my dock discovers that the MacJournal alias has been replaced with "PkgInfo" in /Applications/iWeb/Contents/Resources/Themes/Modern.webtheme/Japanese.lproj/Photos.webtemplate/Contents ... Haven't used this app in a while though, so it might have changed before the last permissions repair.

EDIT2: also fwiw, this has happened to aliases on a separate account (at least on the Dock, not sure about regular aliases). Is there a specific system-wide pref file for the Dock? I can only find user-level ones...