Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Krauser

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 19, 2009
I'm going to be putting a second hard drive in my MacBook Pro when I get it in about a month, and am planning on running a Samsung 830 SSD as the boot drive and offloading larger files to the 750GB HDD in the optical bay. Question is, what's the difference between making aliases to files and symbolically linking them? My intent would be to offload larger media files (like the library, music, and pictures folders) to the larger HDD utilizing symbolic links on the SSD while leaving apps and the system as well as more utilized folders (like downloads and the collection of preferences and caches) on the SSD. Is there a difference between aliases and symbolic links for such a purpose? Because making an alias seems to be much easier (no fiddling with the terminal) but I also am not aware of how this will work as the process for creating symbolic links seems to be more fitting for what I'm trying to do.

Also, arbitrary to the prior question, will the MacBook Pro's (the 13" non-retinas) be getting updated any time soon or replaced/discontinued, or do you guys think this will take the place as the consumer machine? I pretty much need a new machine as my base model 08' is getting rather long in the tooth, but I hold onto my machines for a while and if there's been any rumblings about anything other than a minor spec bump, I'll hold out. If the i7's just going from 2.9GHz to 3.0, I don't really care, but if architectures are going to change and I'll miss out on Intel HD 5000 just because I couldn't wait another month, I'll be a little disappointed. Is Haswell worth waiting for? Because I kinda need an upgrade and anything greater than 4 or so months to wait means I'm just going to upgrade in December (in between semesters for school so I can be prepared to the workload).

Last edited:

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Symlinks are universal, Aliases are Finder specific.

If you have any applications that work outside of the finder architecture (my main software for work doesn't use finder), only symlinks will work.

Krauser

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 19, 2009
Symlinks even work with Steam.:eek:
That's good to know but I'm planning on leaving them on the SSD for performance anyway. I'm just concerned with throwing media libraries and documents on the HDD with symbolic links to use it as a mass storage device.

Krauser

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 19, 2009
Also, random question, but will loading 16GB of RAM into the 2012 MacBook Pro let the HD4000 utilize more VRAM like it does in a Windows environment? Or is that not a thing in OS X?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.