AlibiSMS - sending faked SMS to yourself!!!

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by pocahontius, Oct 23, 2008.

1. pocahontius macrumors newbie

Hello,

I just want to announce my new app 'AlibiSMS' (App Store Link).

Homepage: http://www.beuckenhauer.de/

You can send yourself a faked SMS for leaving a boring meeting and get out early, for avoiding housework and much more...

AlibiSMS doesn't send a real SMS, it uses a faked homescreen with a faked date on the calendar icon and implements the functions by itself. So no costs for you!

Try it out! Here are some screenshots...

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Greetings
    Jens Beuckenhauer

2. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

lol that looks awesome i think i want to get this app

3. Justinerator macrumors 6502

Justinerator

You win sir. You=opposite of fail. I am definitely getting this!

EDIT: Didn't realize it wasn't free. Awesome idea, but not yet worth it. You still win. :p

4. jfong425 macrumors member

5. pocahontius thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for loving it!

Thanks guys for your great feedbacks...

It would be nice, if someone could set a review in iTunes, because often people only write something like "too expensive" or so. They don't see, it costs a lot of work to create an app with all the artwork, testing, and the learning curve for the iPhone SDK. The faking of the iPhone homescreen took quite a long time...

I'm very happy, you like it.

Planned features for next releases are:

- take a screenshot of your customized homescreen and use it in AlibiSMS.
    - you should be able to reposition the SMS and calendar icon, and the faked sms badge and calendar date will appear at the correct positions.
    - localizations.

If you have more ideas, it would be great to hear from you...

Jens Beuckenhauer

6. admanimal macrumors 68040

Two questions/comments:

1. Doesn't the app have to be running all the time to achieve the desired effect?
    2. If the phone is asleep and/or locked, the app isn't able to display the faked message, is it?

7. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

The home screen doesn't use the silver status bar, it uses the black one. That right there should tip someone off (assuming they know what an iPhone looks like) that it isn't real.

8. pocahontius thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello,

@admanial:
    1. Yes, the app has to be running all the time to achieve the desired effect.
    2. The iPhone will not go to sleep mode. Sleep mode is disabled for this app. But the homescreen, the dimming after a minute and the lighting up when touching the screen is all reproduced by the fake. It looks real!!!

@fishkorp:
    You're right, the real statusbar is black. In AlibiSMS the statusbar is also black. I only made a mistake when using Apples iPhone graphics templates: I did not change the statusbar color to black. Only the screenshots are wrong, in the app it is black!

I'm planning some advanced features by many user requests I had on the first day. Hope you see them soon:

Almost ready are the following features, I hope to submit the new version on monday:

1. When you select the sms text menu, you get another table where you could store several predefined alibis (like addresses in the contacts.app). Therefore you always have a set of alibis ready to go.

2. I'll add several sound effects to choose from. I also contacted Apple if I might use the original one (let's see what they answer...).

Planned features for future versions are written down in an earlier post of me. If you have additional ideas feel free to contact me (App Store Link).

Greetings
    Jens Beuckenhauer

9. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

Just wondering, why did this take a long time. Didn't you just take a screenshot of the home screen?!

10. pocahontius thread starter macrumors newbie

Screenshot updated!!

@fabian9:
    Yes, it took quite a long time, because only a screenshot wouldn't solve the problem. The iPhone mustn't fall in sleep mode, so it must be disabled and the dimming after a minute and the lighting up when touching the screen must be reproduced. Further you have to replicate the sms badge with the 1, which takes a time in a photo program. But hardest thing was to get the calendar icon right. It shows the actual date and the weekday, even if the program detects a change in the day while running, and this without the possibility to use the NSCalendarDate class on the iPhone. And I noticed, weeks do not always start with monday in other regions...

I think that nearly every program in the App Store, even if it seems so, that you can reproduce it in an hour or two, took a lot more time. The process of getting it ready for submitting it to the Store is complicated step, and you have to double check everything...

Greetings Jens

11. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

Ah, interesting! Thanks for that!

12. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

ha, great no more being stuck on a bad date. This is an absolute gem.

13. lennywiz macrumors newbie

amazing service!!!!

this is absolutely great - I've just contacted the author via email and he's told me that because of the comments on his app he has already implemented several new features to add more versatility and implement new functions. I'm sure the personalizition of the homescreen will only be a matter of time. Thumbs up for this app!

14. deriko100 macrumors 6502

So how does it work does it use real text messages?

15. pocahontius thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello,

No it doesn't send real messages. All the graphics, sounds, incoming messages are faked...

Here an information for all AlibiSMS users:

I just submitted an update for AlibiSMS (see the screenshots in the first post of this thread). It should be available in a few days...

New features:
    - Define and save pre-configured alibi messages.
    - Additional alert sounds.
    - … more to come in the near future (localizations, etc.)!

16. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

17. silversurfer007 macrumors newbie

It's not only brilliant - it's a lot more!

I've just downloaded the latest update and ... WOW ... all the user requests were implemented. Regarding the fact that it is not easy to fake an SMS which is an integral part of the system of the iphone this is a great application. .........and it looks a lot nicer now with the leather background.

It takes a few seconds to understand the screenshot function but when you think about it it becomes logical. This app cannot enter a real sleep mode, it can only simulate it. Therefore ... and I have to admit that I did not realise that at first .... it has to fake the date on the calendar icon.
    This is really a hidden gem in the app.

I've seen that it is available now in French and German as well so I hope that it will be available in Italian pretty soon.

Thumbs up :)
    Silvio

18. gr8gonzo macrumors member

gr8gonzo

this app is great i have played so many pranks on my friends, danke

19. X3n0 AcId macrumors regular