Alien Users - Finder GetInfo - Permissions -

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by AlbertaArt, Aug 28, 2010.

1. AlbertaArt macrumors newbie

I have a MacBook Pro shared by 3 different family member accounts/users and have been going through different Folders looking at permissions using Getinfo.

I have found a couple of "alien" user names such as "staff" and "Wheels" etc. who do not have accounts on the Mac.

First, is there any way to get a list of all the "Names" that have file permissions?

Second, How do I delete these from the system without going through every Folder

Thirdly, I am using Airport and am wondering if I am missing a security setting that should be enabled?

We do have different permissions on our files (to protect each other from accidental deletions/modifications etc.)

Thank you!
    Art

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Um....

DON'T touch permissions. Just don't.

Right now you need to go to Disk Utility and click on your hard drive, then click Repair Disk Permissions.

Leave permissions alone, just leave 'em alone. Those other things have to do with the system. They need to be there for the computer to make... stuff happen all good and stuff.

What about your Airport?

3. LPZ macrumors 65816

These are standard and part of OS X.

You can see a list of such users by opening Terminal (in Utilities) and entering

Code:
    cat /etc/passwd
    and also

Code:
    cat /etc/group
    DON'T EVEN TRY!

4. AlbertaArt thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you ...

Thank you for your replies.

The only permissions I have been looking at are in the users folders, ... For Example,

My folder under "Users" has ME as "Read /Write" and Everyone as "Read Only".

In a sub-folder, there are the same permissions, but "staff" is added as "Read Only" and on another one "wheel" is there as "Read Only". These are folders I created for different documents etc.

Why would these permissions be different than the parent folder?

Also, I ran the cat /etc/group command ... are these all ok?

nobody:*:-2:
    nogroup:*:-1:
    wheel:*:0:root
    owner:*:10:
    everyone:*:12:
    group:*:16:
    staff:*:20:root

The rest appear to be system names ...
    daemon:*:1:root
    kmem:*:2:root
    sys:*:3:root
    tty:*:4:root