Alienware finally made a thin and light gaming laptop

Discussion in 'Alternatives to Mac Hardware' started by maflynn, Oct 4, 2018.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Engadget

I've always thought Alienware's gaming laptops were huge, heavy bricks but I think Dell seeing the successes that MSI, Razer and company have had with thin and light gaming machines dipped their toe in the market

Specs seem decent, design is still gaming centric. I like the sleek lines of the Razer personally. Bezels seem way too large for my liking. The prices start at 1,300 so that's a plus

2018-10-04_07-01-38.png

2018-10-04_07-02-25.png

Scroll to 14 seconds on the video

2. c0ppo macrumors 65816

c0ppo

That one may be a great laptop with great thermals, etc.
    But not interested. Design is obnoxious. But on the other hand, If I were 15 again, this would probably be my first pick. Only problem I would have in that scenario is the lack of funding :D

3. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yeah, given the thickness and vents that I see on the design, I don't think throttling will be an issue.

Yeah, I'm not liking that design

4. Queen6 macrumors 604

Queen6

Flying over the rainforest at dawn - Priceless
    Although I use gaming notebooks in professional roles Alienware is not for me. I don't care for the styling and dislike how heavy handed Dell can be with locking down their systems, and unlikely to be a frontrunner in performance.

If I was in the market for a Windows 10 thin & light, I'd be inclined to look at ThinkPad's X1 Extreme & the new P1, 15" Surface Book, although a chunkier design.

Q-6

5. SDColorado Contributor

SDColorado

The first thing that came to mind when I saw that design was the Apple iBook clamshell

6. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

It's an interesting design but the closest I'll get to a Dell Gaming laptop is a G3 or G5.I have watched to many Alienware's die right after the warranty ends.