Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Alienware - The Best Gaming PC Maker has Sold Out!

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
The Alienware announcement claims that Alienware will continue to operate as is, separate from Dell. Who knows how true that is and it definitely is the first step towards a possible disappearance of Alienware, but all is not lost yet.

Comment

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
I don't really know why anyone would buy an Alienware computer anyway, but, I don't want to start an argument in this thread. :)

Comment

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors 601
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
And so Dell now sells platforms using AMD chips... through Alienware. But hey, its all Dell now!!

Edit: BTW has Alienware's front page always looked like that? It looks strikingly similar to Dell's.

Comment

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
alienware was good? :confused:
i thought they were overpriced, had ugly cases and crappy technical support, and had fairly poor quality control, but i've never owned one so i guess i'm not the best judge. guess i won't ever now...
anyone know, out of curiosity, if they'll continue to make clevo-based notebooks? that'd be pretty cool if they made the new 19" sli one.

Comment

Felldownthewell

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2006
Portland
When debating whether I was going to switch or not, my choices were MBP (ordered yesterday!) or the alienware 5500 (the thin one, not the beastly 2.5in thick one.) It looked like an excellent computer, but wasn't powerful enough, and didn't have OSX. Now I'm glad I didn't go with them. It may be business but it still makes them sellouts.

Comment

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
No, man, Dell is serious now. They've got a case with flames on the side. That's a clear indication of quality. :eek: ;) :D

Comment

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
As a owner of one i have no complaints,Aurora 3500 6800GT powers through F.E.A.R, Quake4,Doom3,IL2,Pacific fighters etc :D The thing is big and has room for all kinds of stuff. I have a TV card in it also:D so i allways have tv and web going. This is interesting news but is sounds like this will be a division of dell, perhaps the gamer line or who knows the performance division to use AMD stuff? Anyways after using one for 1 1/2 if give it thumbs up. Solid. Just found out they came out with a 7800GS for this machine and it can hold 4 gigs of memory and can be upgraded to a AMDFX60 so plenty of growth one day.

Comment

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I'd heard a rumour about this, but wasn't sure whether to believe it or not. I don't really care anyway, because I don't plan on buying any Windows computers in the near (or maybe even distant) future. I don't think Alienware even sold to NZ in the first place, so I certainly won't miss them.

Comment

yankeefan24

macrumors 65816
Dec 24, 2005
NYC
yg17 said:
I see they've already adopted Alienware pricing.

and i thought macs were expensive:rolleyes: :D ;) :p

wow. thats all i have to say. wow. they sell it for almost 10 grand. wow.

Comment

Kaiser Phoenix

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2005
London
I thought alienware used to be really crap. Like it didnt function properly and their customer support was terrible...

But with Dells management, maybe that would improve but I still cant think of anyone spending 10,000 for playing games....I mean just buy a PS2 or xBox...

Comment

Airforce

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
dmw007 said:
Even with a 30" LCD included, thats still an awful lot of $$$ for a Windows machine! :eek:

Not for the average joe :p

Quad-SLI graphics....god, that would be fun at those high resolutions :cool:

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.