all 3g cases will fit the 3g[s] ?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by V4705, Jun 8, 2009.

1. V4705 macrumors 6502

i know apple say they have the same dimensions but i'm not sure they "curved" exactly the same.

what do you think?

2. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

3. V4705 thread starter macrumors 6502

4. Noelmel macrumors regular

thanx i was wondering about this too soo all the buttons and slots are in exactly the same place cool

5. RIPNHL2005 macrumors member

Probably doesn't matter much since it looks like 3G owners are NOT eligible for upgrade pricing.
    :(

6. noone macrumors regular

Bitter much? lol

Its an honest question that I was wondering about simply because I have the first iPhone and was wanting to order a case for my 3Gs before it is delivered. That way, it is protected from day 1.

7. teaguecole macrumors member

I wouldn't be so sure about that. When I bought my first Incase Slider for the iPhone 3G. It fit fine on my first iPhone 3G and it became stuck on my second iPhone 3G. Incase told me it is because Apple changed the dimensions by a hair. Apple did not mention this at all. Which makes perfect sense, since it fit my first iPhone 3G and not the replacement I got. I dont know why this problem didn't occur on other cases, maybe because the Incase Slider fits tighter than most? I am not sure. So I would be careful about using the same cases. Hopefully it will work, but I have a feeling that the cases will fit a little to tight or a little to loose. But who knows maybe it will work out fine. It definitely will save money if we can use the same cases.

8. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

Not true at all. The reason is most likely Incase, since their fits vary sometimes. They had some white ones that would not fit for the life of them on my 3G but their matte black ones fit like a glove and I tested it on the same 3G which was a replacement, they were just blaming it on Apple haha. But the dimensions are EXACLTY the same between the 3G and 3GS so ALL cases will fit just fine.

9. basketball762 macrumors regular

Great. Just bought a new case for my iPhone 3G a couple weeks ago and glad it will still fit if I do decide to get the iPhone 3GS

10. teaguecole macrumors member

Yeah, I don't know it was weird. The first iPhone 3G I had, the white glossy Incase Slider fit perfectly, and then when I replaced the iPhone 3G that same white glossy case became stuck on my new iPhone. Obviously the case couldn't of changed sizes could it? So it leads me to believe that Apple made a small adjustment without saying anything. But the other thing that is weird, is that I don't think any other case had this problem. The first iPhone I had was from like the launch date where as the second one I got was like half a year later. But I mean it is very likely that Incase would blame Apple just to keep customers. Anyways Incase sent me a new one black matte and it fits fine now. But yeah I was just throwing that out there... chances are everyone will be fine.

11. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

Hmm okay I see what your saying, maybe the plastic in that particular iPhone expanded a bit somehow, it would take much to make it feel snug. Guess quality control on both were at fault for both are cases and phones. But the 3GS should in theory fit well so I wouldn't worry :)

12. ieinar macrumors newbie

Im not too sure..

the iphone 3gs is much thinner than the 3G. atleast thats what's being advertized by apple. :confused:

13. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Are you serious? You're very wrong. Do you have a link to this "proof"?

Also, do you realize this thread is over 8 months old?

14. labman macrumors 604

labman

thanks

for the chuckle! might also point out this thread started before the 3GS was released. :rolleyes: ieinar glad you searching threads but you might want to check dates before replying as well! ;)

15. j-a-x macrumors 65816

j-a-x

This might be too late, but I believe the ambient light sensor is in a slightly different place on the 3GS. I could be wrong though

16. Sulaco macrumors member

I think you are right. I gave an old 3G case to a friend with a 3Gs. He thought there was a problem with the sensor, however when he took the case off it all worked fine. Obviously the case covered everything but the part of the screen that shows immages, if that makes sence. His new case only covered the back / sides.