Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pjfla

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2008
Big Pearl Jam fan... check out all the available albums in iTunes. The band has released "bootlegs" of their concerts for some time (on iTunes). However, none of them are now available on Apple Music. This was really my main reason for joining AM.

nivekr11

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2010
Big Pearl Jam fan... check out all the available albums in iTunes. The band has released "bootlegs" of their concerts for some time (on iTunes). However, none of them are now available on Apple Music. This was really my main reason for joining AM.
Luckily Apple Music is free for 3 months.

schlaufox

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2013
Well yeah, I think we knew that not everything on the iTunes Store would be available in Apple Music. Such is the conviction of the record industry, to keep everything complicated like that.

I just got finished moving about 100 albums I had saved in Spotify to Apple Music (that was hellish), and I think Apple Music had all but one. That's not bad at all, especially considering there was a lot of stuff that wasn't available on Spotify, that really should have been. I've checked a few of those cases out, and in all instances, they were available on Apple Music.

bigdavecox90

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2012
Well yeah, I think we knew that not everything on the iTunes Store would be available in Apple Music. Such is the conviction of the record industry, to keep everything complicated like that.

I just got finished moving about 100 albums I had saved in Spotify to Apple Music (that was hellish), and I think Apple Music had all but one. That's not bad at all, especially considering there was a lot of stuff that wasn't available on Spotify, that really should have been. I've checked a few of those cases out, and in all instances, they were available on Apple Music.

I've got all that to come!

Not looking forward to it :(

Reactions: eagleglen

schlaufox

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2013
I've got all that to come!

Not looking forward to it :(

I made it a little easier on myself by having iTunes take up one half of the screen, and Spotify the other half, while doing it all. The quickest way to add music to your library in iTunes seems to be to search for it, click the album, and then click the small plus (+) icon on the right of the album view.

Don't forget to look through not just My Music in Spotify, but also your playlists, and the 'Liked from Radio' playlist, should you have anything there. I think that covered everything for me.

bigdavecox90

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2012
I made it a little easier on myself by having iTunes take up one half of the screen, and Spotify the other half, while doing it all. The quickest way to add music to your library in iTunes seems to be to search for it, click the album, and then click the small plus (+) icon on the right of the album view.

Don't forget to look through not just My Music in Spotify, but also your playlists, and the 'Liked from Radio' playlist, should you have anything there. I think that covered everything for me.

Thanks for the tip mate :)

Reactions: schlaufox

MentalFloss

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2012
They self-release the music instead of going through their label? In that case, it's possible that they simply haven't signed up for Apple Music yet. It's still a possibility.

pjfla

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2008
Excellent point MentalFloss. It's true Aple never said "every" track but they sure touted access to Apples massive catalog. I think it was something like "virtually every album ever made". Fingers crossed!

MentalFloss

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2012
Excellent point MentalFloss. It's true Aple never said "every" track but they sure touted access to Apples massive catalog. I think it was something like "virtually every album ever made". Fingers crossed!
Yes, that was a bit of hyperbole before they could even know who would sign up (I think at that point, they had just convinced the major labels).

There's actually quite a lot of music that is not available on Apple Music. It seems that none of Prince's songs are available (luckily, something that definitely does not bother me). Also, only very few of Michael Jackson's or Queen's music videos are available on Apple Music. I am guessing that the rights situations for some material is just quite complicated.

schlaufox

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2013
There's actually quite a lot of music that is not available on Apple Music. It seems that none of Prince's songs are available (luckily, something that definitely does not bother me).

I mentioned earlier that 1 in the 100 albums I added to Apple Music from Spotify wasn't available, and it was a Prince greatest hits album.

I'm sure music will continue to get added, though, if slowly. Think of all the record labels that have gradually added their artists to the iTunes Store, who were resistant at first.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
All Albums in iTunes Store are NOT on Apple Music

Apple never said that all albums in iTunes Store would be on Apple Music. In fact Apple said that that all albums in iTunes Store would not be on Apple Music.

It completely dependent on the recording label or artist if the album or singles are available on Apple Music.

XxUnkn0wnxX

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2014
well i can find any song or album i want via going to my current library and pressing all music tab to download all the artists albums or looking up the artist or album name in "For You" tab then searching in the Apple Music Search box..

but it shame all the content is DRM protected m4p :(

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
All this stuff just got way too complicated to me. You have iTunes Match with your CDs, you have iTunes Radio, the iTunes Store, and now Apple Music that doesn't have everything from the store, yet your rented and purchased music are commingled...ugh.

cheekyjeremy

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2009
A lot of the bands I listen to are on Spotify, but certain albums or tracks are missing from Spotify. While you can buy these tracks on iTunes, the majority of the tracks that are not available on Spotify are also not available on Apple Music. It must mean that the record company deal for Apple Music (streaming) is different from the deal for iTunes. An example just to explain the point would be Portishead. The complete album "Dummy" is available to buy on iTunes. The album minus 2 biggest tracks (I think Numb and Glory Box) are available for streaming on Spotify. The same two tracks are also missing from the Apple Music Streaming service. For my adding all my music today, I've found that in most cases where an album or track was missing on Spotify, it is also missing on Apple Music. It's disappointing as with a lower bitrate, and not filling the gaps in Spotify, what is the point of swapping to Apple Music. Lastly, Eddie Cue said today that users cannot designate the bitrate on Apple Music, but that APPLE gives you a different bit rate depending on if you are on cellular or wifi. With unlimited data, and the fact that cellular is often faster than Wifi, I'd like to have the control over what bitrate I have, not them deciding for me.

Reactions: tonyr6

schlaufox

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2013
A lot of the bands I listen to...

There are a lot of people on this forum convinced they can tell the difference between 256kbps and 320kbps and I'm not so sure about that. iTunes has been based on 256kbps for over five years now, I think. I don't understand why it would only be annoying certain people now, with the introduction of Apple Music.

And surely while on a cellular connection, if your connection dips slightly, you would rather the quality dipped for a few seconds, rather than a complete pause and buffer?

And certainly, the deal between Apple and the record industry for a streaming service, like Apple Music, is different from that in place for the iTunes Store. Just as Netflix has a different arrangement to Amazon, for the streaming/sale of movies, respectively.

RossMak

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2012
Admittidely iv not looked for a massive amount yet but everything I looked for has been there.

Although oddly Florence and The Machine album did not have kiss with a fist. However on another version of the album it had it.

cheekyjeremy

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2009
There are a lot of people on this forum convinced they can tell the difference between 256kbps and 320kbps and I'm not so sure about that. iTunes has been based on 256kbps for over five years now, I think. I don't understand why it would only be annoying certain people now, with the introduction of Apple Music.

And surely while on a cellular connection, if your connection dips slightly, you would rather the quality dipped for a few seconds, rather than a complete pause and buffer?

And certainly, the deal between Apple and the record industry for a streaming service, like Apple Music, is different from that in place for the iTunes Store. Just as Netflix has a different arrangement to Amazon, for the streaming/sale of movies, respectively.

Well, I did the online test with my Bose sounddock and got 5 of the 6 correct. The one that I didn't get correct was the classical track which was 320 instead of WAV. On a decent playback unit, it's not as tough as many are suggesting. No one I know chose the 128kb tracks over the 320kb and the wav. Regarding the quality dip issue, Eddie Cue implied that if you are streaming apple music over a cellular connection, then you are getting either 96kb or 128kb no matter what the speed of your connection is. That to me seems like a poor choice. I have unlimited data and fast data, and I cannot stream at a decent bit rate because apple is deciding what I will have.

Reactions: tonyr6

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
I hate anything adaptive. Yes I rather have it pause and buffer then turn to turd sound quality. This is what irritates me with services like Netflix. I rather have it rebuffer and stay in 1080p then to continue playing and turn into sub 480 VHS quality.

schlaufox

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2013
I hate anything adaptive. Yes I rather have it pause and buffer then turn to turd sound quality. This is what irritates me with services like Netflix. I rather have it rebuffer and stay in 1080p then to continue playing and turn into sub 480 VHS quality.

I've never personally seen such a drastic dive in quality you're talking about on either Netflix or Apple Music (yet) – regardless, I still think most people would prefer that dip in quality. And especially if your phone is in your pocket and you've got earphones in, and the music just stops. That sucks.

I'm all for options to let you mess with those sort of settings, but if there has to be a default, I think it does make sense to have an adaptive stream.

Well, I did the online test with my Bose sounddock and got 5 of the 6 correct. The one that I didn't get correct was the classical track which was 320 instead of WAV. On a decent playback unit, it's not as tough as many are suggesting. No one I know chose the 128kb tracks over the 320kb and the wav. Regarding the quality dip issue, Eddie Cue implied that if you are streaming apple music over a cellular connection, then you are getting either 96kb or 128kb no matter what the speed of your connection is. That to me seems like a poor choice. I have unlimited data and fast data, and I cannot stream at a decent bit rate because apple is deciding what I will have.

Oh I do accept that between 256kbps and lossless formats, there are likely some people on even modestly good setups that can hear a difference. I just don't think it likely that people can reliably distinguish between 256kbps and 320kbps. Since 320kbps is the highest a streaming service like Apple Music, intended for mass market, will reasonably go, it doesn't seem worth getting upset over the 256kbps bit rate.

If that's true about the streaming quality over cellular, however, that is quite poor. Couldn't find anything on Eddy's Twitter to that effect, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.