All applications quit unexpectedly when asked to print

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Hobbit, Apr 29, 2007.

1. Hobbit macrumors member

Hello everyone,

Can someone help me solve this problem.

All applications quit suddenly when i click on print or press command+P. I tried everything to solve the problem including:

1) Uninstalled and reinstalled printer driver software.
    2) Removed and readded the printer in printer setup utility
    3) Reinstalled the whole operating system (Tiger) and installed all the updates.
    4) Then it occured to me to test the printer using other user accounts in my computer and it works fine on other accounts! So the problem is just in my user account!

Can someone please help, what could be the reason?

Thank you

2. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

I've had a similar problem come up on one of the ibooks that I look after.

I suspect it happened with the update to 10.4.9

Would your printer happen to be a HP printer?

Basically what happens is pressing the print icon to print a single copy worked, but pressing apple-P or selecting the Print... option froze the finder, and I had to quit and relaunch everything or reboot. The Printer Setup control panel refused to open too.

I googled for a few solutions, but none worked. Some made the situation even worse, freezing Finder if Apple-p was pressed.

The ibook is due for a re-format /reinstall soon so I'm baffled for now but not too frustrated. I might just try setting up a different user account and see if that works.

Thanks for the tip.

3. Hobbit thread starter macrumors member

I'm using a MacBook. My printer is Epson DX4850.

Even if i click on the printer icon in certain applications like microsoft office the application suddenly quits.

I don't think it's related to a system update because the problem only happns in one user account. The other accounts are fine.

4. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Tried trashing "com.apple.print.PrintingPrefs.plist" (in ~/Library/Preferences/)?

5. Hobbit thread starter macrumors member

MacsRgr8

Thank you for the suggestion. I tried to delete the file you mentioned but this hasn't solved the problem. Any other ideas?

6. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

I'll throw in the repair permissions...the one fix for everything comment. Try it, but it probably won't work. Doesn't hurt anything to try. Some times 3rd party developers get very sloppy with the way things install and operate.

If absolutely nothing works, you can try an archive and install of OS X. Make sure you backup your things BEFORE you do that just in case. An Archive and Install just installs OS X overtop of itself. It doesn't delete your applications, documents, music, pictures, etc. Its fairly non-destructive.

7. Hobbit thread starter macrumors member

I already reinstalled the whole operating system but i still have the problem and it's only on my user account. The other accounts are fine.

8. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

When you reinstalled your system and then restored your information did you drag and replace the entire home folder? If so you most likely brought the problem right back into your system if this was occurring before your reloaded the OS.

Look in the Library folder inside your home folder (Macintosh HD/Users/yourusername/Library) and then click on the Printers folder. Delete any printers in there.

The next easiest thing to do then is to create a new account and transfer your stuff over to it. Now, while transferring the data, ONLY transfer the stuff you need. So in other words, DO NOT copy the entire Library from inside your home folder folder over to the new account. That will totally defeat the purpose of making the new account. If you want to further narrow it down, only transfer certain things at a time. Then you can see what's causing it if its not something in the Library folder (which it most likely is).

9. RabidDawg macrumors newbie

Is your printer on a network?

If so and it has a dynamic IP address, go to the printer preferences and delete the printer already there. Add this printer as an IP printer, using the printers IP address. You can get the IP address by printing a test page from the front panel of the printer. Don't use apple talk or bonjour. This worked for me.

Hope it helps.