Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

psycoswimmer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 27, 2006
USA
Hello again, fellow MacRumor-ers. I have an HP Photosmart C3180 All-In-One printer if that helps. I opened NeoOffice to print out my report paper due tomorrow. It refused to print and eventually came into the "not responding" mode. I force quit. I opened NeoOffice again, and accidently hit apple+p in iChat instead of NeoOffice. iChat also wouldn't print anything, and I was forced to force quit. This happened with NeoOffice two more times. Eventually, I decided to copy & paste my report into text edit. It pasted fine, but again, froze when I attempted to print. I had to force quit. I've repaired permissions and relaunched the finder and dock (if that would help) but nothing has worked.

I really need to print these out today, so any quick help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Matt

Kodex

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2003
Matt I will walk you through this one real quick, depending on what it is it can be several steps just run with me here. The first thing I need you to do is create a new test user, call it whatever you want and give it admin privs. Log into that account and see if you can print. Post me the results =)

psycoswimmer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 27, 2006
USA
I did that, and it didn't work. It wasn't even the same document, I just typed until it was about the same length.

What now?

Kodex

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2003
Your problem is not at the user level, it is at the system level. Do you have an external firewire HD that has a few free gigs on it?

psycoswimmer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 27, 2006
USA
Your problem is not at the user level, it is at the system level. Do you have an external firewire HD that has a few free gigs on it?

No, I don't. I have an iPod though? I doubt that would help.

Also, why would is just decide one day not to print? I did nothing to change my computer since yesterday when I printed something else.

Kodex

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2003
Well things on your computer can get out of wack for various reasons, when you are dealing with system level software its a lot harder to trace down it can be comming from various sources. With a firewire drive we can quickly assure its not hardware but we can make do with out.

First thing we can try is to go to the printer setup utilitly its in the utilities folder and remove the printer and readd it. There is a chance that the driver has just freaked out and its jamming up the works.

Let me know on that one

psycoswimmer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 27, 2006
USA
Well now I feel stupid. I just restarted the iMac and it works fine. It's printed out. Next time I'll remember to restart before I post here. I panicked though.

Thanks for all your help Kodex. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.