ALL Apps have to be bought multiple times now?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Skyzerox, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Skyzerox macrumors newbie

Here is scenario.

I have 2 iPhones and a iPod touch for kid. We all have the SAME Apple ID linked to AppStore purchases so we don't have to download 3 separate copies and pay for all 3.

We have MobileMe family pack with separate email addresses for separate calendar, email, etc...

Here is the problem:
    On the new screen shots for iCloud you use your Apple ID to, and i qoute, "Your apple ID sets up iCloud, the AppStore, iTunes Store and more"

Then the iCloud setup (outside of Apple ID sign in area) has only 1 slider of on and off for, and I quote, "Store your contacts, calendars, photos, music, books, APPS, and more..." ...... WITH NO SEPARATE LOGIN!!!!!

That means in order to have separate email, calendars, etc... You have to have DIFFERENT Apple IDs for syncing different email and calendars.

THE OUTCOME (if this true)
    You have to have different Apple IDs for different users. And since the ability to SHARE one paid download among all the devices is linked to the Apple ID, and all your devices have to have diffent Apple IDs means you have to purchase each app separately for each device with a different Apple ID.

IF THIS IS TRUE, BIG TROUBLE
    I don't want to buy every app we ALL use 3 times.

AM I WRONG? (I hope I missed something)

2. spades1412 macrumors 6502

I'm in a very similar situation with my wife and I sharing one iTunes account. I sync with a Mac and she syncs to a PC. I'm really hoping there's a way to separate the two devices in icloud as I don't want all her contacts, photos, email, apps, songs and the works. I'm sure she doesn't want all my stuff either.

3. Fusion79 macrumors 6502

I hope you are wrong as I am in the same situation with my wife and I sharing one Apple ID. I think this would piss off a lot of families if this is the case.

4. Skyzerox thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm hoping that the CURRENT system of Apple ID NOT being linked to what syncs for MobileMe.

5. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

You can enter a different Apple ID for the App Store

6. vertigo235 macrumors 6502

I'm worried about this too, my wife and I share the itunes account too.

7. Skyzerox, Jun 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2011

Skyzerox thread starter macrumors newbie

I HOPE your right :)

Do you have the new OS and have already confirmed that tho?

Cause currently in iOS 4 it has a separate App "Store" preference where you log in with Apple ID. But new screen shots make it appear as if it's ALL taken care of with just ONE spot to enter your Apple ID to control ALL iCloud aspects including App store AND Calendars/email syncing.

But HOPE YOUR RIGHT!!!!

8. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/534.32 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Definitely confirmed on iOS 5 Beta: the store has a separate login just as it does now.

9. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

What does this mean? My wife and 2 daughters all share the same Apple ID with me.

Currently, all the apps they've purchased that I don't want have "magically" appeared in my app store under "purchased."

Seams to me all devices will be sync'd per the Apple ID. If we all have to get separate Apple IDs, we cannot share the content we want to and will have to buy multiple copies.

10. Norouzi macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

Why not just Authorize eachother to use content? That's how I have my wife and I set up. She has her own Apple ID and I have mine. I've authorized my Mac to use content from here Apple ID and vice versa. This includes Apps as well. Any apps she purchases I can also use on my iPhone. She's downloaded a few paid games that I can use just fine, no need to buy again.

If you want to take it one step further setup Home Sharing in iTunes. I've got this setup so that if my wife buys an app on her computer it will automatically copy over to my computer, same if I buy something. Works for music and videos as well.

11. brayhite macrumors 6502a

Whoa, wait.. so authorizing via Home Sharing isn't a per device, but per AppleID? I was under the assumption it was per device, so I authorized my girlfriend's MBP and iPhone to download apps I paid for using my AppleID while she has no AppleID.

So she can create an AppleID and I can authorize her AppleID to use my apps, music, movies, etc. that were bought?

12. Norouzi macrumors 6502

Right, currently you can authorize up to 5 computers to use content purchased on an Apple ID. For example: My Apple ID is abc@gmail.com, on my wife's computer I go to iTunes and under the "Store" menu there is an item to "Authorize this computer...", I enter my Apple ID and password and now any content I purchase from iTunes, music, video's or apps, can be played on her computer and synced to her iPhone/iPad. I can do the same on my computer using her Apple ID. Purchases can then be transferred between the computers by plugging in a device and selecting to "Transfer Purchases".

Home Sharing is a different setup where you use one Apple ID to create a kind of iTunes network. I can setup Home Sharing using my Apple ID of abc@gmail.com on all devices (computers, iPhones, iPads, Apple TV). This adds different options depending on the device being setup. With computers it allows for any purchases made on either device to be automatically copied to the other. The devices still have to be authorized to play content from one another.

A tad confusing I know, it took me a bit to figure out the Home Sharing part. If you do authorize another computer just always make sure to De-Authorize it if your going to get rid of it, or format it.

EDIT: Just to clarify a bit, Home Sharing and Authorizing a computer are two separate things. Authorization allows content to be played, Home Sharing is more just an easy way to move content around.

13. brock2621 macrumors 6502a

brock2621

You should be able to authorize like 3-5 devices if i remember correctly...

14. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Based on further readings, I believe a single Apple ID will be used for media content only. I.e., Music, Apps, & Books. Once iCloud comes online, you have to register an @me.com address. When doing this, you'll be prompted that this is now your new Apple ID. However, the original Apple ID will be your master account. Therefore, you'll only register the devices YOU use with your specific @me.com email address. Other users within your household will register a different @me.com email address. All content purchases will still be under the original Apple ID for all to share, but for syncing between devices/computers, the @me.com address will be used.

15. JBTX macrumors newbie

When you transfer the purchases from her account to your computer do they still update ok on the phone or computer?

If we can share music, videos and apps that would be great.

16. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Why is EVERYBODY freaking out about this? I've seen this same issue in a dozen threads now.

Why is this so scary?

[​IMG]

There you go, just 1 easy step.

17. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Actaully you're totally missing the point of OP's thread

18. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I'm not sure how else to read this other than the way I first did:

What does he really mean?

19. Norouzi macrumors 6502

The catch with updating apps is that you do need to have the other person's password for their iTunes account in order to update. When you go to update your apps it asks for your Apple ID password then when it gets to an app from another Apple ID it will ask for their password. I think you can also just wait for them to update the apps on their computer/device and they'll get pushed over to your computer/device next sync. I think this complicated mess is one of the things Apple is trying to fix with iCloud.

20. fraggot macrumors 6502

21. Joejama macrumors newbie

Ahh there we go :)

22. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

He's mostly talking about sharing his itunes account with his friends/family he/she currently shares with. Not the app/music syncing system they have. I wasn't trying to be mean, just didnt think that's what OP was looking for. Unfortunately I have no clear answer for him either. But I'll assume your apple id will be for apps, music and books and your @me.com will be for contacts, pics, etc....

23. brayhite macrumors 6502a

I'm familiar with authorizing devices. As I said in my post, I authorized my girlfriend's MacBook Pro and iPhone to download apps I paid for. However, I was under the impression that if she created an AppleID and signed on to it from her iPhone, all the apps I shared with her would be deleted.

Is this not the case?

24. iKennett macrumors 6502

You have a 'Master iCloud' account which is your iTunes Account. This is set within the iCloud settings option... this takes care of device back up, photostream and find my iPhone. It also shares Apps, Music and Books across all the devices IF you want.

You can then add an additional iCloud account (or create with an @me.com address). Any additional account that is not set from within the main iCloud settings panel is considered a secondary account for email, calendar, note, etc.

Oh and each 'master' iCloud account can have a @me.com address created for it.

25. saberahul macrumors 68040

He is right. You can make 2 Apple ID's and use them that way. I have one for the store - one for email - one for GameCenter.