All apps in OSX giving incorrect spellings.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Talkingtoaster, Mar 23, 2016.

1. Talkingtoaster macrumors regular

Talkingtoaster

My spelling is set to british english. I have added no words to the dictionary. Yet it is always correcting me on words that I have spelt correctly.

For example I just wrote example and it is underlined in red and its suggestion is example is 'exumble'. I have never added this, nor another words. I'm not a fool and I'm able to spell basic words. Just now the word 'basic' was suggested as 'baic'. Any ideas what on earth is going on? Once again the word 'ideas' was suggested to be 'idears'. Interestingly when I wrote 'idears' it auto corrected it as the correct spelling.

Is OSX playing a joke on me? Cause I'm not laughing. I write many documents and it is making basic tasks a total pain.

2. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

Open the file ~/Library/Spelling/LocalDictionary to see if you have inadvertently told the system to "learn" new spellings. If you find spellings in this file you don't want, just remove the words and save the file.

3. Talkingtoaster thread starter macrumors regular

Talkingtoaster

Thank you for replying. the file 'LocalDictionary' was empty. would it be any help deleting this file? Im not an english teacher by any means but some of these suggestions are ludricous. Is there anyway to totally delete the language system and restore it?

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Ha! This sentence wasn't proofed for you, was it? ('E,icr)

5. Talkingtoaster thread starter macrumors regular

Talkingtoaster

My point exactly. Guess I need to wipe my MacBook and start afresh :(