All Apps Unresponsive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AroundTheFur922, Aug 15, 2013.

1. AroundTheFur922 macrumors member

AroundTheFur922

Hello,
    I'm new to the Mac universe and am having a problem. I noticed while browsing late last night that Chrome was unresponsive when trying to load any of my usual websites (instant error messages accompanied by the little frigid folder icon they use). I didn't think much of it, just assuming it was some random error on Google's part and continued on with my browsing using Safari instead (which worked fine). When coming home today (after turning the system off before heading to work, hoping the restart may solve the Chrome issue) I've found that not only does Chrome not open now, but neither does Safari or any other App for that matter! Every App I attempt to open either endlessly bounces while the beachball spins, or just doesn't respond at all. I have not done any drastic work to my machine (I manually installed an SSD and some extra RAM about a week or so after purchase but I don't think that would cause this) and don't torrent anything or visit nefarious websites. I made the jump to Mac after being a Windows user for 15+ years to avoid headaches like this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. My laptop is a 2013 MBP 13" (non retina) with 8GB of RAM and a 256 SSD if that helps at all.

2. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

3. AroundTheFur922 thread starter macrumors member

AroundTheFur922

Well, I booted into Safe Mode to see if the problem was still present there, and it wasn't. So after scratching my head for a few minutes, I decided to restart in normal mode and try the SMC method you mentioned. Low and behold, after booting back into standard, the problem is gone and my apps work again. As happy as I am to have proper functionality back, I'm still curious as to what the problem was. About once a week or so prior to today, the whole system would just randomly crash at times as well.

4. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

That's certainly unusual behavior. Usually they just run smooth and trouble free. If it persists I'd head for the genius bar. It's still under warranty.

5. Vanilla35 macrumors 68030

Vanilla35

That does sound like a problem. I hope it stays in the past. I would get a system utility program to check up on stuff. If you've been on windows then you know there are things such as registry cleaning programs. I'd get one of those for your mac. Seems like it's having a windows problem, lol

6. sofianito macrumors 65816

sofianito

Yes, the BSOD exists in both operating System. One is Blue, the other is Black... :D

7. Vanilla35 macrumors 68030

Vanilla35

:d