Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hgud

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
Have a weird problem - all of a sudden every one of my browsers has problems browsing sites, particularly with web-apps.

My primary browser has been chrome, with safari as secondary.

The problem manifests in Chrome as pages that fail to load. Examples would be gmail and some torrent sites. Other times, I get onto the sites, but when I use a search function, it stops and fails.

I´ve also tried safari (tries for a bit then crashes), firefox (refuses to start now) and Opera. Opera seems to work, somewhat at least.

I´ve already tried some things - thought it was a plugin problem since it affected all of the browsers so I basically deleted every one I could find and got fresh versions. No dice. In fact, when I throw out the latest Flash plugin, it seems to improve things, then I run into sites requiring flash, so I get it and things stop working.

Tried repairing permissions on the hard drive - brings up a bunch of corrections all concerning flash.

Tried deleting every browser and installing a fresh copy - no dice either.

Finally tried installing Snow Leopard again - not completely fresh, did preserve my profiles and files and just set up the OS... since this seems also to affect stuff like taking a time-machine backup. Tried 3x to take a backup, and it stops after 2-3 gigs and becomes really really slow. Also, the whole OS seems to slow down - freezing at times - when I have the browsers going.

So... any creative ideas? :)

ULEE

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2008
I have the same exact problem. Safari runs somewhat faster for a while but also really slows down after visiting some sites like facebook (+chat). Even the text input is delayed at times (text shows up seconds after typing). Is there any way to fix this? The rest of the system runs super fast.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.