erpetao

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2011
I've been wary of doing a clean ML installation, but in the last couple of days my 2011 Air would not wake up from sleep a couple of times (having to hold the power button to reboot), and I had enough: time to do a clean install.

Considering you are already backed up with Time Machine, the process is fairly simple: press CMD+R while your system is booting, use the disk manager to erase your drive, and then choose the internet installation.

Now I have a clean system without all the stuff that I've been collecting through all these months and that may have been affecting battery life (growl, serviio, third party drivers for stuff I don't use anymore, etc.). And a clean OS installation.

So far the issues that seem to be fixed with my shiny new OS:

- Immediate wake up from sleep (before it would take around 5s)
- Improved battery life (now I get around 6h to 7h estimated battery life where before I would get around 4h).
- Random freezes crashes gone.
- Non waking up from sleep gone.
- Improved free space (before I got around 20GB free and now I have 40GB, although this is also because with a new install you can skip reinstalling stuff you don't use anymore).
- Improved responsiveness, the system feels "snappier" in general.
- Safari also feels snappier while browsing.

So guys, my advice is that if you have some of those common issues and you upgraded to ML from Lion, give a clean install a go. ;)

Mrbobb

macrumors 601
Aug 27, 2012
Whoever posted that he's used the same machine since 2002 without a clean re-install, I say, count ur blessings.

Comment

Birone

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2012
I've been wary of doing a clean ML installation, but in the last couple of days my 2011 Air would not wake up from sleep a couple of times (having to hold the power button to reboot), and I had enough: time to do a clean install.

Considering you are already backed up with Time Machine, the process is fairly simple: press CMD+R while your system is booting, use the disk manager to erase your drive, and then choose the internet installation.

Now I have a clean system without all the stuff that I've been collecting through all these months and that may have been affecting battery life (growl, serviio, third party drivers for stuff I don't use anymore, etc.). And a clean OS installation.

So far the issues that seem to be fixed with my shiny new OS:

- Immediate wake up from sleep (before it would take around 5s)
- Improved battery life (now I get around 6h to 7h estimated battery life where before I would get around 4h).
- Random freezes crashes gone.
- Non waking up from sleep gone.
- Improved free space (before I got around 20GB free and now I have 40GB, although this is also because with a new install you can skip reinstalling stuff you don't use anymore).
- Improved responsiveness, the system feels "snappier" in general.
- Safari also feels snappier while browsing.

So guys, my advice is that if you have some of those common issues and you upgraded to ML from Lion, give a clean install a go. ;)

Did you restore from time machine or just select the files you wanted back from its folders?

Comment

throAU

macrumors 604
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I highly suspect that the likelyhood of having problems with upgrades depends on how much third party software you have installed.

I keep my machines relatively clean (due to being burned by third party software in the past on Windows) and have yet to have an upgrade issue on 3 machines since Leopard.

Comment

erpetao

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2011
Did you restore from time machine or just select the files you wanted back from its folders?

I didn't restore from time machine. I just copied over my documents, aperture library, and itunes library. I also took the opportunity to upgrade certain software (like vmware fusion 4.x to 5.x which is supposed to work better with ML).

And I didn't install any of the applications that I wasn't using anymore which meant I freed up a lot of space.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.