All contacts wiped during software update...help!!

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Mazzie-123, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Mazzie-123 macrumors newbie

I was updating a colleagues iPhone 4 to the newest software and it wouldn't let me backup to iCloud as the iOS was so old, iCloud wasn't even an option. When I chose to update, it assured me that the contacts, calendar and messages would be preserved. Unfortunately, EVERYTHING was wiped! There is no other backup. Have been looking into 3rd party data recovery programs, but a lot of them require me to hold down the power button and the home button at the same time to allow access...and this is a problem because the power button on the phone doesn't work! Can anyone help?! I'm desperate and will try anything! I feel even worse because it wasn't my phone. Any advice welcome :) thanks in advance!

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Apple has long stated their recommendation to back up the device contents prior to firmware upgrades (which have in the past removed photos, contacts, etc).

iTunes will backup any phone, any firmware.
    Fix the home button, then use a data recovery app.
    Recommendation: Stay away from modifications of any device with hardware failures and where owner hasnt 't backed up his/her content. Good luck.

3. SusanK macrumors 68000

Are you able to turn on assistive touch to use the home button functionality?

4. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

And when you say no other backup he wasn't syncing with iTunes at all?