All data and applications lost during reset, how can this be?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by macbook123, Feb 18, 2011.

1. macbook123, Feb 18, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2011

macbook123 macrumors 68000

Hello, if I create a backup of my iPhone and restore it to original settings and then use the backup to get the original data back on the iPhone, will it still be jailbroken?

The reason I need to reset it is because it has a bug where I can't import movies from iTunes, as it complains that the iPhone is synced with another library. I don't have another iTunes library so this is clearly a bug. I read somewhere that it helps to restore the iPhone in this case.

Now I do worry that if I restore it to original settings and then reload the backup, that either the jailbreak will be gone (and as I understand 4.2 can't be jailbroken yet), or that everything will be back to where it is now, i.e. I won't be able to sync movies via iTunes.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

You destroy your jb with a restore.
    4.2.1 has a jb.

3. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks for the swift response. Two questions if I may: What is the simplest 4.2.1 jailbreak solution? Will I be able to get my previously bought and installed JB apps back on the newly jailbroken iPhone?

I know this information is somewhere in this forum but don't have the time to read through all of it right now. So thanks very much in advance for your patience.

4. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

greenp0ison is what you need to jailbreak your iphone. as far as getting your paid for JB apps back. most will most likely let you have them again but that is up to each individual developer. you may want to email each of them ahead of time to inquire.

5. macbook123, Feb 18, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2011

macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Wtf!!!!????

Thanks for your help.

I just restored to factory settings and then restored from backup but all my applications and data are GONE!!! This would suck big time since I've had all these data transferred since the 1st generation iPhone. What's more unbelievable, my backup from last night is gone as well! I can only restore to the pre-restore backup, which for some reason does not contain all my data!

Now the MOST annoying and crazy thing is that all this seems to have done NOTHING to the original problem, i.e. the reason I did the restore. I did it because iTunes seemed to be confused about my libraries, i.e. for some reason it claimed my iPhone was synced to a different (non-existing) iTunes library. The problem persists even after this restore that erased all my data and $$'s worth of apps!

I just can not believe this. How can this be so complicated? Please let me know if there is any hope to get my apps and data back. Thanks guys.

EDIT: I'm talking about my non-jailbreak apps here, the ones from Apple's app store. They're all gone.

6. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

How do you know if Greenpois0n works for his phone? he did not indicate whether he has Iphone 3, 3GS or Iphone4. Greenpois0n only works for 3GS, Iphone4.

7. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

I do have iPhone 4. However I'm so upset right now about this crap that I'm seriously thinking of selling it and getting an Android. How can it be that all my apps are gone and can not be recovered? This is insane. And I'm still getting the stupid message that my iPhone is synced with another iTunes library and therefore movies can not be synced. This is BS. What do you need to be able to safely use an iPhone. A friggin doctorate degree in iOS and OSX?

Sorry for the rant, but I just can't believe how this can be so complicated and dangerous and why there is no warning that doing a reset will erase all your Apps. Was there a warning and did I miss it? If so, then why would anybody ever want to do a reset, and why would Apple even include the option in iTunes? I just don't get it.

8. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Further update: I did find my previous backup of the iPhone in TimeMachine, however I can not use it, i.e. it is invisible to iTunes even after importing it into the MobileSync folder. Is this because I upgraded to a newer version of iOS?

Again, I guess I should have gotten that doctorate in Apple software before spending an afternoon doing this.

Any way to remedy this? Doesn't Apple store the information that I bought certain apps in their databases? Will I have to show them all my receipts in order to get my apps back? Is there a way to get rid of this iTunes syncing problem that started this disaster?

9. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

Just start redownloading them. Once you click "Buy", it will popup a thing saying that you've already purchased the item so you won't be charged again. I hate how this works because it's scary as hell the first few times you do it.

10. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

I just tried this for one App and it charged me again, i.e. nothing popped up like you said. Thanks for trying to help me anyway...really appreciate it. Are you saying that after restoring to factory settings it is normal to have to download each App one-by-one? Please don't tell me Apple doesn't offer a smarter solution. I've had like 100 apps on there and didn't keep a diary of them all as I thought iOS and OS X were smart enough to not lose them?!

11. seanwebb68, Feb 19, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2011

seanwebb68 macrumors 6502

Are all your apps still in Itunes?

If not do you have a backup of itunes(Not a iphone backup) with all your apps in?

Once you have all your apps in itunes then you will be able to restore them to the phone.

Then try going to store - authorise this computer then sync again if that doesn't work let me know

12. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

It seems to me that there must be a copy of iTunes with your App library associated to it. Apps just don't disappear from iTunes. Are you certain you never did anything with another iTunes library or no one else has plugged your iPhone into there computer with iTunes loaded? This is highly unusual.

13. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

OK, a possibility is that my iPhone is still associated with the iTunes on my older Macbook Pro. I didn't realize this because I've been syncing it with my Macbook Air probably a hundred times over the last months and I didn't even remember that I might have owned the iPhone for longer than the Air. However the Pro does not contain all Apps I bought for the phone, but many of them, as I used the Pro throughout two generations of iPhones.

Now I don't know if I will still be able to sync the iPhone with the iTunes, my old Macbook Pro, after so many syncs with the Air. IF I will be able to sync it, does this mean that all data that are still on it (such as address book, voice recordings, notes, settings) will be erased from the iPhone?

How can I make a backup copy of these data before attempting to sync the iPhone with my old Macbook Pro? Using iTunes on the new Air? What I don't know about syncing is which way it conserves the data, i.e. how can I be sure when I sync voice recordings with iTunes the recordings on the phone won't be erased because there exist no voice recordings in iTunes?

Also, if I can backup the above data on my new Air, how will I get them to the iPhone once I synced it with the old MBP and presumably all data except for those that predate my migration to the Air will have been erased?

Thanks a lot for thinking about this with me and sharing your knowledge. I really wouldn't know what to do with the phone without macrumors at this point, since I don't have Apple Care with the phone and therefore no phone support.