Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thecore762

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 20, 2014
After upgrading to iOS 14.4 I noticed that all of my emails disappeared! Both my iCloud and gmail emails are all gone! I checked all the folders and nowhere to be found! I logged in my gmail through the eve browser and all of them are gone and checked the trash folder too and it’s gone too.
I have years of emails missing and this is frustrating, I rebooted the iPhone and removed and added the email accounts with no avail.
I am turning here because apple support has been disappointing and had me repeat the above steps...

• Wow
Reactions: George Dawes

svanstrom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2002
??
After upgrading to iOS 14.4 I noticed that all of my emails disappeared! Both my iCloud and gmail emails are all gone! I checked all the folders and nowhere to be found! I logged in my gmail through the eve browser and all of them are gone and checked the trash folder too and it’s gone too.
I have years of emails missing and this is frustrating, I rebooted the iPhone and removed and added the email accounts with no avail.
I am turning here because apple support has been disappointing and had me repeat the above steps...
If they're gone from the server (ie what you see when you log in using the web browser), then I'm afraid that they're gone for good.

If you do manage to find and restore from a backup they might also instantly get deleted if you are online, as the app on the phone will sync with the new state online (depending on protocols used etc).

SureshRamasamy

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2021
Well, your not the only one, i have lost everything, business emails, personals, icloud, gmail, yahoo. live, outlook, all gone
, whatever email accounts on the iPhone are all gone.

Ellen

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2007
Overnight the same thing happened to me! All iCloud inbox emails, other than a few after 2/1, are gone; but it looks like my Sent mails were not affected. I have the same issue in iOS, MacOS.

Twice in recent days the emails periodically disappeared and quickly came back. This time I have been waiting.

Does anyone have any news about this?

djomaha

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2020
I thought the same thing happened to me, but I clicked the filter button twice on my inbox (in the lower left corner) and all email showed back up. Hope this works for you!

Ellen

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2007
Overnight the same thing happened to me! All iCloud inbox emails, other than a few after 2/1, are gone; but it looks like my Sent mails were not affected. I have the same issue in iOS, MacOS.

Twice in recent days the emails periodically disappeared and quickly came back. This time I have been waiting.

Does anyone have any news about this?

wiltonkirk

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2021
Similar problem last weekend (2/5). 2 gmail accounts with everything gone from all folders before 2/3 which was about the day I updated my iPad with 14.4 Folders are still there, just empty. Eventually found everything in the Trash folders. I do have a backup to restore but without knowing the problem, it would likely just happen again. This is with 2 Windows 10 laptops, 1 iPad, 1 old iPhone 6. One laptop was offline so I was able to belatedly do a backup as I download all email but also leave it on the server.

Ellen

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2007
Was wondering if anyone here who reported this issue are still suffering with it? This has been happening to my iCloud mail for several weeks, and one time the emails did not come back (Apple then restored my inbox). Right now I am awaiting analysis from the engineering folks but meanwhile it is very frustrating.

wiltonkirk

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2021
Yes, no clear answer except keep an offline backup of old emails. In my case, I can restore everything from the trash only to have it go away again. It all worked so well for so many years. Yes, very frustrating.

ThrowerGB

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2014
I don't know if this will answer your particular problem. But I thought I'd lost emails after a previous installation. Can't remember if it was a Catalina update or Bug Sur install. But I found a tip that solved my problem.
If you look at the list of accounts in the left hand column of the main Mail window. Apple has a hidden selector for each account that only shows when you have your pointer over an account name. There's a caret selector that allows you to hide all the folders in that account. When the folders are hidden, and the mouse pointer isn't in the right place, the selector disappears and you can't tell that there are hidden folders. How's that for an intuitive user interface?
Try just moving the mouse pointer so it's on the account name and the selector will pop up. Move it away and it's hidden again. Use the caret selector to hide or unhide the folders in that account.
Hope this helps - Good luck.

Hashok

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2021
Damn! I just had the same issue - brand new iPhone 12 Pro Max on iOS 14.4.2 - I lost all emails from my private and corporate Gmail accounts after I decided to clean around a thousand of old emails. After a couple of minutes of selecting hundreds of emails and moving them to archive I noted that both inboxes and all other folders became empty!! Now I have few thousands of emails in my Bin, but it seems like it contains only deleted items. I’m speechless... just switched from 3 years on Android...

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2010
Same problem all my email went into junk inbox and when I bought them all back of course it carried over the entire junk folder into my inbox. I moved away from Apple Mail, I have nothing but problems with it.

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Hmm, interesting. Sometimes I seriously feel as if emails are missing from my iOS devices.
From a PC, and browsing via a browser, I swear I see more emails, versus what's on my iOS devices.

So, in a way, glad to know its not just me...

gtmac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
Hmm, interesting. Sometimes I seriously feel as if emails are missing from my iOS devices.
From a PC, and browsing via a browser, I swear I see more emails, versus what's on my iOS devices.

So, in a way, glad to know its not just me...

Same here that is why I keep the outlook app and yahoo app installed just for searching. I can never find old emails in the mail app using search.

SuperKat

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2008
In A Galaxy Far, Far Away
Hi:
I’ve been having this problem since 3/25 but I keep getting an enter password message. I’ve been checking my AOL on Safari. I’m on an iPhoneXS running 14.4.2. I think. No e-mail through the app for a few days now. ?

Petrabel

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2021
Was wondering if anyone here who reported this issue are still suffering with it? This has been happening to my iCloud mail for several weeks, and one time the emails did not come back (Apple then restored my inbox). Right now I am awaiting analysis from the engineering folks but meanwhile it is very frustrating.
Reported the issue to Apple support about 2 weeks ago. Lack of replies as apparently my location is not covered by their service. All emails gone and no answer as to what is the problem and how to solve. Spend hours on the chat to no avail. Quite disappointing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.