All Equipment I'll need with my Eye TV 250 Plus?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Khryz, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Khryz macrumors 6502a

I have the new version of the EyeTV 250 Plus and I'm looking to find out all the equipment and hardware I'm going to need in order to 1) record gameplay from my video game consoles, and 2) watch TV.

It's been recommended to purchase RadioShack's $50 A/V Distribution Amplifier to split the connection between the EyeTV and the TV so that I get lag-free gameplay when recording, so I know I'd need a few more A/V cables. Does this sound sufficient?

And for watching TV .. I'm in a college dorm so we get TV from a coaxial cable that comes from the wall. Now I don't want to steal the connection (roommate would be pissed) but I was wondering if there was a way for me to watch TV on my Mac WHILE he watches TV on the TV with different channels? Can I do that with a cheap cable splitter? I'm a complete newbie to this stuff so I don't know if I can watch different stuff than him or if we have to watch the same things.

Is there anything else I would need to buy to take advantage of EyeTV 250's features? Or is that it?

THANKS

2. Khryz thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. kingpikey macrumors member

Good quality splitter should work fine. Much in the same way one would split coax cable for use with a cable modem and tv,

Just try to get a decent quality splitter, and one that doesn't have more terminals than you'll be using. Leaving an open connection / unterminated connection on a coax cable splitter can sometimes cause weird problems (at least it can when used with a cable modem).

4. Khryz thread starter macrumors 6502a