All files in iTunes gone -- how do I rebuild??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Apple!Fre@k, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Apple!Fre@k macrumors 6502a

So I deleted the Plist files because iTunes would constantly crash when it was "processing" the TV show I was downloading after it reached 100% on the download. SO very annoying. Didn't realize deleting the Plist files also deletes all of the preferences and just about everything else except the music, video, etc. files themselves. So I have all of my iTunes files on my external hard drive where they have always been, but how do I point iTunes to it?

I vaguely remember that I have to open iTunes while holding down some key? Is that right? Which key(s) again?

Thanks!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

3. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

To set the location of your iTunes library:

With iTunes open, click on iTunes in the menu bar, scroll down to Preferences... go to the Advanced tab, under iTunes Media Folder location click the change button and point it to your Library. Close the Preferences....

4. solaris macrumors 6502a

solaris

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's because .plist is an abbreviation of "preference list". Deleting the .plist removes only your preferences, but nothing else. It will not remove your playlists, album art, music or video files, etc.
    iTunes > Preferences > Advanced > iTunes Media folder location
    From iTunes help:

6. Apple!Fre@k thread starter macrumors 6502a

That was it! Holding down the option key! Thanks! :)