All fonts & typefaces available w Sifr?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by eclipse, Nov 23, 2008.

1. eclipse macrumors 6502a

eclipse

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

The place I used to work (for) used sIFR for headings (just H1) and the occasional special style (like a special quote style) in their CMS system. Og course they only had a few fonts that was "sIFR-ized", and only used one of them, and also sIFR - which relies on Flash - has a tendency to be a bit flaky, especially on Macs, and will also be "caught" by some ad- and flash blockers. But it does work fairly well, just don't use it for body text...please... ;)

The new place I work use (an old vesion of(?)) pcdtr for substituting headers. This only uses PHP + CSS to substitute text with images, no Flash (or even Javascript) required. Very nice and handy.

3. lucidmedia macrumors 6502a

many professional sites use SIFR, and when done correctly it should cascade down gracefully should the user not have flash.

The adobe site used to use it, but only on the PC if I remember correctly. I am away from my PC so I don't know if they are still using it.

It can be quite a job getting it properly set up in terms of styling, but once it is running its quite an interesting hack.

4. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

Yeah we used sifr quite a bit at my last job.

It works quite well when you take the time to tweak it, but tweaking it can be very tedious, although sifr 3 is suppose to be quite a bit better.

5. memco macrumors 6502

That's kinda cool. Dunno if it's any better, but I'm gonna play with it some.