All Free Software Experiment

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Chasealicious, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Chasealicious macrumors member

Chasealicious

So it's about time for my annual "erase and install" just to keep things fresh, and I've decided, out of curiosity, to try something new.

When I wipe the drive and reinstall OS X, I want to see if I can survive a month using nothing but free software.

No Microsoft Office or Photoshop, only what comes with OS X, iLife, and software that can be legally downloaded and installed for free. (Open Office, Gimp, etc.)

So the question I ask from all of you now: what totally free and totally awesome programs do you use? I'll need everything from video conversion utilities to FTP clients to office apps and games. Go!

2. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Question #1: May I ask "Why?" You spend $1000+ dollars on a computer and you go cheap on the software. I guess I just don't understand the reason behind he experiment.

Question #2: Why do you annually wipe your drive? I only reinstall when a new OS is released. And even then I do an "Archive and Install".

4. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

handbrake - DVD ripping app
    iSquint - movie comverting app
    SizzlingKeys4iTunes - global iTunes control.
    FuzzyClock - a clock, but different to the rest

good luck with it :)

5. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

6. Chasealicious thread starter macrumors member

Chasealicious

It's pretty much just for fun. People talk about free programs on these forums a lot, but I've never really used any - and since I was expecting Leopard by now, I'm itching to try SOMETHING new. I want to see how long I can last, and what (if any) productivity or features I miss out on from the standard commercial products we're all used to.

...and, I may feel a tinge of guilt about regularly using programs that I didn't actually purchase. :eek:

7. xyian macrumors 6502

xyian

I think this is a great experiment. It's kind of a stance against the need to purchase things and also is a way to support the developers out there!:D :apple:

8. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I recently purchased Sixtyforce, before that all my software was freeware...