All I want from Apple is....

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by OCraised, Aug 26, 2008.

1. OCraised macrumors newbie

There are only two things that I can think of that they haven't yet. Maybe they have, and just aren't releasing them yet.
    1: I don't want to own Blu-ray. I do want to be able to download high def movies and to be able to own them. Make them available at the iTunes store. I WILL PAY TO OWN a high def movie that I get to keep. Terabytes are cheap enough now, and it will cut out the middle man, to some extent.

2: Release an iPhone without the phone. Or another way to put it. An iPod Touch that can get on the internet. Heck use AT&T's 3g for all I care. If they charged 20-30 bucks a month, I'd be in heaven.

Thank you for listening to my rant.

2. kabunaru Guest

It exists all ready. It is the iPod Touch and I can get on the internet just fine with my iPod Touch.

3. OCraised thread starter macrumors newbie

You mean you can get the internet when not near a wifi hot spot????

Interesting.... how do you do this..... which type of magic do you use?

Seriously, why do you think I said 3G from AT&T .....

I know it can get wifi. Good grief. Some people just post to troll.

4. kabunaru Guest

Sorry, I just misread your statement then. I am not trolling. :eek:

Edit: In that case I do not know. Maybe the next iPod Touches would have 3G. Maybe, who knows?

5. OCraised thread starter macrumors newbie

No problem... I shouldn't have been so harsh. I just don't need another phone, or to get into another contract. I would love to be able to use the touch while on the road and be able to search the internet. I mean, they got the Krindle to do it. The big key would be to keep the ability of using the internet relatively cheap.... ie 20-30 bucks.

Would love to have 3G on the next iPod touch..... you are right, who knows.

At least I didn't start another, when is the mac mini going to be updated, thread.....

6. andy8408 macrumors newbie

andy8408

"2: Release an iPhone without the phone. Or another way to put it. An iPod Touch that can get on the internet."

This is what you said...the guy was just replying to what you said, jobknockey...arrogant rude americans...

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Do you really think ATT or any provider would allow access to their 3G network without a contract?

8. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

Some of those arrogant rude Americans take offense to what you said. That is how most of us are raised. I'm pretty sure back when the British were the top dog they were this way as well. We'll learn our lesson when we lose the empire we're building. :) Kidding

9. ColinEC macrumors 6502

You could buy a first generation iPhone, buy the most basic plan (I believe it's around $20 or $30) and use that for internet - although it'll be a lot slower than the iPhone 3G's speed.

Not all Americans are arrogant or rude :(

10. kabunaru Guest

Not all but some.
    Some of my best friends and most interesting people I know are Americans and are very great people to know and be around with.

As for OP's rant #1, we might see that in the future too.

11. O. Frabjous-Dey macrumors regular

That was the fastest derailing I've seen in a while.

AT&T is making it as hard as possible for anyone to get on the data plan only, although I think a few iPhone users have been able to pull it off somehow. This will never happen as long as it isn't in their financial interest.

12. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

If you're going to bother putting a cellular network on an iPod touch, then what the hell is the point of even having it? Why do they have to have a million products?

1. The iPhone ultimate (has everything: Data, calling, camera, all functions)
    2. The iPhone 'lite' (Has no Data but has calling with camera)
    3. The iPhone 'dark lite' (Has no Data, has calling, no camera)
    4. The iPhone 'lite full' (Has data and calling, no camera)

Then the iPod touches!

5. The iPod touch (As it is now)
    6. The iPod touch Camera (As it is now + camera)
    7. The iPhone iPod touch (As it is now with a cellular network for accessing data)
    1,000,000. The iPod touch ultimate (As it is now + camera and cellular network)

Jesus. It's not an iPhone. It's an iPod touch. Not a phone = not having features that require a phone's plan (like 3G Data).

13. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

The high definition movies part I can see, but an iPod touch will never have anything more than WiFi on it. Why? That's what differentiates the two products. The iPod touch 3G's sales would eat too much into that of the iPhone 3G and thus Apple wouldn't do that.

14. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

This is what I do. I have a monthly Netflix subscription and I rip DVDs and just store them. They do have HD or BluRay but I'm unfamiliar since it isn't the absolute norm at this point in time. Membership (unlimited rentals) starts at 8.99/mo vs. a couple bucks for a movie.

They have a free trial period as well.

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Sure for $60 a month capped at 5GB/month.

16. OCraised thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't expect to see an iPod touch with 3G capability. It's just what I would like to have. And yes, I could just get an iPhone, but I get horrible AT&T reception where I would need the phone.

I would expect a contract if I were to get a Data plan.

All this was, was a wish list to some extent. I do expect the downloading of High Def movies for the consumer to OWN. I just would like to have that option now.

I don't want/need another disc player in front of my TV. I would like to just sit in front of the TV pick the movie off of the ATV, XBMC, etc, etc. and just press play and have it in High Definition.

Thanks for everyone else's opinions. I do appreciate them. And to the poster about Netflix, been there, done that. I just want to have them in High Def now.

Cheers to our English friends across the pond. :)

17. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

The 3G is the phone part, thats where the cost comes from, not the speakers and microphone. An ipod touch with 3g doesnt make much sense when the iphone already exists and would cost the same. You would still need a sim card, and it would be locked to a specific service like AT&T like everything in america.

I dont know how wireless broadband works but it might be wifi, if it is then the ipod touch might be able to connect to a wireless broadband service which is city-wide.

18. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

The British have got their fair share of arrogant jerks as well.

19. jokun macrumors member

Apparently======>andy8408

Personally, I can't see the sense in Apple releasing an iphon-like product like that. Somewhere in-between the iphone and touch doesn't make sense to me.

20. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

You want an iPhone with 3G, but no phone access?

Talk to AT&T, not Apple. The iPhone already exists, and is exactly what you're looking for. Taking away the mic isn't going to lower the cost of the device for the consumer, or Apple. You want this from Apple, but it's not Apple that prevents you from getting what you want. You'd need to start a wishlist for AT&T.

21. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Why not cut out the middle man and just torrent the movies? You're not paying for them as is, may as well go whole-hog.

22. iGuardian macrumors 6502a

iGuardian

If your willing to get an iPod touch with 3G access for $30/Month, and already have a phone, perhaps you should reconsider not getting an iPhone. Assuming you have a plan with AT&T, wouldn't it just end up being your existing plan + $30/Month for data?

23. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

I don't know too much about them. How do I "sign up"?