Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bwilky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
Wow. That's all I can say. I went to the Apple Store today and purchased myself a macbook. For obvious reasons I opened the box to check for slanted keys, battery case, dead pixels ect. Well the first one had 10+ dead pixels. So I asked for a different one. The genius was extremely nice and brought out another one. This one had bleeding issues, and dead pixels. By the end he brought out five different macbooks which all had issues. He offered a refund because there weren't anymore macbooks left in stock. Like WTF, what a waste of a day. I was really excited because I finally have enough money. I'm not bashing the new macbooks (I personally love them), but I'm not forking out 1,500 Canadian for a faulty laptop.

iaymnu

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2007
Bought mine yesterday, i don't see any problems on what you describe, although one of the 4 screws on the bottom doesn't screw down flush with the others... Got mine in nyc apple store. Maybe the move inventory faster and get a new batch?

BoingoBongo

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2008
I went through five too, and ended up just getting a refund.

Awesome product, terrible quality control. I will not be buying another Apple computer until things change (I won't be buying a PC either though :D).

Bwilky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
I went through five too, and ended up just getting a refund.

Awesome product, terrible quality control. I will not be buying another Apple computer until things change (I won't be buying a PC either though :D).
Haha, Yeah. I phoned my local apple store in Vancouver an hour ago and they said their getting another shipment in tomorrow. I guess I will try again tomorrow.

youssefm

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2008
Thats horrible =[

I went to the apple store here in nyc and picked one up and was out in 5 minutes... so far no issues *knock on wood*

all the ones on display didnt seem to have any issues either

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
I got lucky on my 6th one. Perfect. No dead pixels, dents, or scratches. Shipped directly from China 3 days ago. Maybe Apple did something finally when it comes to quality control? Not that it good get any worse (and im an Apple lover ha).

Boston Fan

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2008
SE Pennsylvania
It really seems like their is a different level of quality from the ones that were shipped to the Apple stores vs. the ones shipped direct to consumers from China.

Wondering if the ones in the stores represent the earlier models that slipped through in an effort to have all of the sores well stocked for launch day, and the ones that shipped later had already had the quality issues addressed.

We ordered ours online, and it was perfect.

rezonat0r

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
Same here. Perfect aluminum macbook ordered online the day of release. And I'm quite picky (went through 4 previous MBP's). Couldn't be happier.

Bwilky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
It really seems like their is a different level of quality from the ones that were shipped to the Apple stores vs. the ones shipped direct to consumers from China.

Wondering if the ones in the stores represent the earlier models that slipped through in an effort to have all of the sores well stocked for launch day, and the ones that shipped later had already had the quality issues addressed.

We ordered ours online, and it was perfect.
Very interesting point. Maybe I'll give that a shot.

PresentACat

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2008
I had one come direct from China and it had "backlight bleed" or just a terrible quality of screen.

And the function keys were slanted, and the battery cover was loose even prior to it being removed.

I say they make them like crap and getting a good one is a matter of luck.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
Quality Control at the factories...

It is as if at the factory they have all these computers laying around the factory out of the box and a couple of empty beer bottles laying around and the manager says "Ship them, I don't care if they aren't ready."

Boston Fan

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2008
SE Pennsylvania
I had one come direct from China and it had "backlight bleed" or just a terrible quality of screen.

And the function keys were slanted, and the battery cover was loose even prior to it being removed.

I say they make them like crap and getting a good one is a matter of luck.

Bummer.

I'm not suggesting that there are no problems with any of the ones shipped directly vs. the ones from the stores, but it does seem (based on completely anecdotal evidence) that we are hearing of more instances of store bought items being returned (often multiple times) than from those who have ordered online. This seems especially true regarding the battery cover and pixel issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.