All-In-One Car Accessory

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by edtorious, Sep 5, 2008.

1. edtorious macrumors 65816

edtorious

2. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Wow it looks promising based on the video itself, and it's $4 cheaper if you buy it on marketworks website rather than on canadadrivesafe website hehe. Has someoen tried this one yet?

3. jbromer macrumors 6502a

jbromer

4. awtoy4444 macrumors newbie

awtoy4444

5. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Can anyone figure out why the link above shows a different price than this one:

http://www.marketworks.com/storefrontprofiles/DeluxeSFItemDetail.aspx?sid=1&sfid=129610&c=0&i=241375331
    ^
    Somehow this has a lower price but are they the same? (saves $6)

And based on the howardforums link that jbromer posted, some encountered the beep
    thing while some did not, I wonder which of those two above doesn't beep :|

6. Bodah macrumors regular

7. nakamuramori2 macrumors regular

audio jack combi

that's a transmitter. i have an audio input in my car so i need a combination w/ audio jack instead of transmitter. does anyone know a good one on website ???

8. reliantj macrumors 6502

can the dock hold an iphone that's encased in a switcheasy?

9. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

will the dock fit with SwitchEasy's Capsule Neo*?

I've read some reviews that they had a hard time if the phone has a case, can someone confirm this? Neo is quite thicker than the Incase slider.

*in addition to his question

10. Bodah macrumors regular

I can let everyone know about if it fits with a Switch Easy CapsuleRebel I ordered the transmitter on Friday, and I have no idea how long it will take to get here

11. ilikemycivic macrumors newbie

Please do, thanks!

12. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Ok I've read on the howard forums that the griffin elan form case would fit this dock, but is there someone out there that has a Switcheasy Neo on their iPhone 3G that can confirm it fits in this FM transmitter dock?

In addition to that, can you also rotate the dock so you could view it horizontally (for videos/movies/shows) shown on your iPod or iPhone?

Thanks in advance to your answers!

13. nakamuramori2 macrumors regular

14. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

There's a link that sells it only for roughly $25, was that the one you're referring at?

15. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

my griffin autopilot works great with my iphone. charges, plays flawlessly, has controls on the transmitter, smart tuning, presets. I love it, and since its the only option (at least at the time I needed it) I'm glad it's a good one.

also, you need to set it to like Japanese mode in order to get frequencies below 88.1. I used 87.9 and I never get interference.

msrp is $99, but I found it on buy.com for about $60. Even if you have to spend $99, it's worth every penny.

16. Bodah macrumors regular

Well it came in yesterday.

It does fit with a Switcheasy Capsule Rebel on the phone. It is a little tight, but it does fit.

I havent really had a chance to test it yet, so I will have to save my review for later.

17. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Cool! Please do Bodah! I'm also particular with the so called "beep" sound if ever it does go beep, and can you also tilt it horizontally so people could watch movies? Of course the sound quality through FM and also calls will be great! Thanks in advance!

18. reliantj macrumors 6502

eh i just got this
    [​IMG]

it comes with a usb charger and i have the
    cigarette adapter part. and i've also got my
    cassette adapter. sound is clearer through
    the cassette deck rather than fm.

$10 after Shipping&Handling and taxes.

19. Bodah macrumors regular

Well I used it on my way home from work yesterday, and while I ran out for a little bit last night.

On a scale of 1-10, I give it a 6.
    This might be low because it doesn't fit my car that well, it blocks my AC controls, radio controls, and clock.

PROS:
    The audio quality is better than any fm transmitter I have ever used.
    The "Wings" on the side that hold the phone in place are spring loaded and have a button to unlock them so they spread out and then you can just pinch them tight when your phone is in.
    You do NOT get the accessory warning when you connect the cable.
    I was wrong yesterday, if you don't want to use the "Handsfree" portion, you only have to connect the bottom dock cable and the audio will transmit. It does not require to be plugged into the headphones cable. I have built in bluetooth in my car, so this works great for me.
    Pandora works great.

Cons:
    It doesn't seem that stable. When driving, you can see it wobbling as you go around bends and hit bumps.
    The "Neck" is pretty flexible when staight, but doesn't bend more than about 45 degrees . This I don't like because it doesn't stay where i bend it to get it out of the way of the car's controls, but it is flexible enough to sway about an inch back and forth while the car is moving. It would be great if I could put a 90deg bend in it and it would stay.

It does not rotate to landscape, but the cradle does disconnect from the neck pretty easy, so I was thinking of superglueing in to a better position for my car..

I have not noticed a beep at all that has been reported by some. I generally listen to my music pretty loud, so maybe I just wasn't hearing it.

Overall, I wish the neck was shorter, was more pliable, and maintained its bend. Being able to rotate to landscape would be nice too.

I am not afraid to modify it so I may take it apart and make it something that fits my car better.

As for doing its job of being a FM transmitter, it works great. It is just in the way with my current setup.

Any other specific questions, let me know.

20. luckyduck macrumors newbie

Great review. I was wondering if you can comment on the speaker voice quality while talking to someone on your phone? Thanks!

21. Bodah macrumors regular

Unfortunately I can't comment on the speakerphone portion of the phone because my car has a built in bluetooth speaker phone, so it defaults to that.

I would imagine that the sound would be pretty good on your side of the phone because all it is doing is outputting what comes out of the headphone jack, so if the quality is good when you wear apples headphone, it should be just as good coming out of your radio.

The thing I would worry about is the quality of the sound on the other end of the line since there isn't really a microphone anywhere close to you.

When I was out getting lunch, I noticed that it wobbles about a centimeter total, not an inch like I said earlier, but it is still noticeable.

22. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

So it won't do landscape huh? Hmm I thought I could use it for the shows.

So we are getting mixed reports of some products beeping while others aren't, I wonder if the new version has no beep sounds already which Bodah purchased.

And this connects in the lighter adapter right?

Still thinking whether I should buy it or just wait for some newer versions...

23. ilikemycivic macrumors newbie

If you're looking for a iPhone charger/cradle/FM transmitter/Hands-free for the car I have bought one from here and it works pretty good.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13234

The Hands-free my buddy said I was clear, a little like I was in a tunnel but he could hear me fine. It also has a nice tight squeeze with my CapsuleNeo case that I keep on my phone. It was <$27 including shipping from my bank account via PayPal and I ordered it on the 16th, and it showed up on the 24th from Hong Kong. The bendy arm is good so I don't have to pickup the phone to change to the next song. FM works...better than I thought. Not fantastic but is completely able.

Only problems I had were if I left the phone connected in the car and turned the car off when I turned the car back on sound didn't work. To fix I just unplugged the minijack cable and plugged it back in. And once the FM station I previously used didn't work, autoscanned to the next one and it was fine. (I made a lot of short trips yesterday)

I did not hear any annoying beep that people were talking about, so that was cool. Basically, if mine broke tomorrow... I'd go buy another one.