ALL IN ONE Car mount

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Djs621, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Djs621, Jul 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2012

Djs621 macrumors regular

I'm sure this has been answered already but it's tough to disseminate all the info out there. I have used the usual suspects, TomTom and Magellan. I've been using the Magellan for about a year and have been putting up with its minor annoyances. Unfortunately, last week it finally **** the bed. The Bluetooth calling feature broke not allowing me to take calls through the kit. I wasnt happy with it anyway. Tomtom was my favorite, however the iPhone 4s made it incompatible and you couldn't use it with a case.

BTW: both the tomtom and Magellan are both discontinued, so now what!!?

Trying to find an all in one car kit that isn't tomtom or Magellan has been a lot harder than I thought. With all the laws requiring hands free calling while driving and the iPhone being such an ideal device for the car.

I'm looking for an all in one car kit.. By all in one im referring to:

• A sturdy mount
    • charges via USB
    • Can take calls through the kit via Bluetooth
    • Has an AUX Port for music
    • Can fit most cases

2. Djs621 thread starter macrumors regular

3. allapon macrumors regular

allapon

I use this Proclip Holder with Radtech Procable line out, which connects on base of holder to USB for charging and Aux for music. I used Jabra Extreme as my Bluetooth solution.

Also, I have two cases with my iPhone 4, Element Vapor Pro and Xtrucase. Both of them can fit perfectly on this holder!!

4. takeshi74 macrumors 601

I'd also highly recommend ProClip's device mounts. Not so much with their vehicle mounts. Try Panavise's brackets instead. The ProClip mount does only have a pass through dock connector but you'd only need to add bluetooth and a solution from the dock connector to your head unit but there are countless options for that. I use the PAC IS75. You can get a bluetooth car kit separately (or replace your head unit with one that has support built-in).

Your options will be much more limited if you're looking for something that has every feature in your list in one product. Plus, you'll find yourself having to replace the entire thing just as you are now when one component fails. Good luck with your search.

5. Djs621 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks man.. I think your right, I'll probably have to settle for buying some of the components separately rather than waiting for the perfect all in one solution. I guess when you get down to it all you need is a good mount that at least can charge the phone. But I will need to find a way to play music through the aux jack while also being able to take calls

6. Djs621 thread starter macrumors regular

Quick update: my car kit was within warranty so Magellan just sent me a new one. Cost me 9 bucks shipping