All In One DVD Copying Software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bhadaway, Apr 4, 2012.

1. bhadaway macrumors newbie

bhadaway

Free or premium, I'm looking for software that doesn't do just one part, but all:

Ripping > Encoding > Compressing > Burning (to blank DVD)

I've looked at HandBrake, Mac The Ripper etc. These programs are great at what they do, but they only do one part.

On Windows I was able to use DVDShrink with Nero in the background. Using this method I could pop in a DVD, adjust a few setting and start it, the DVD would automatically eject when ready for a blank DVD, I'd swap them out and that was it.

It was the most beautifully simple way of making copies of DVDs ever. Is there any similar workflows I could setup on the Mac or am I dreaming?

Thanks

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Not sure what you're trying to do. Commercial DVDs or homemade?

3. bhadaway thread starter macrumors newbie

bhadaway

My commercial movie DVD collection. What I'm actually doing is keeping my original DVDs in their cases as the backups and making copies to fill up large DVD cases (in alphabetical order) to have on the go for easy access and no worry of wear and tear.

Anyways my collection is mostly backed up from said Windows days with ease. But, now I'm on Mac and looking for something that is just as simple without missing a beat.

If there is no such one program, what's going to be my best combo of programs to get the job done?

And as a side note, perhaps I should start looking into digitizing my collection.

Thanks

4. Old Smuggler macrumors 6502a

Old Smuggler

5. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

I use Handbrake + VLC to rip my DVDs to .m4v ready for use on my AppleTV3. Identify tags them. I lose the menus and other flotsam, but the resulting X.264 file is about 700M per hour including both the AAC & AC3 soundtracks. I can even add a directors commentary audio track.

6. bhadaway thread starter macrumors newbie

bhadaway

As far as I can tell, SlySoft doesn't create any software for Mac at all. I guess we'd be diving into virtual Windows at that point, in which case I'd just go back to my original setup.

Trying to be done with Windows though.

----------

Yeah, in 2012 I should really be looking at digitizing. I was thinking about Apple TV. Would I just get an external hard drive, say 10TB or similar and then drop my movies on that and then connect that to my Apple TV?

And, in case I'm not ready for that route I am still looking for the software I've outlined.

Thanks

7. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

AppleTV requires iTunes running to share your local media. Some folks jailbreak and run Plex or XBMC. Personally I just run iTunes when we need to.

8. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I use DVD2OneX2. However, I believe it still requires you to extract it via MacTheRipper or similar software. I can't remember. And unless you buy DL DVDs you will most likely have to compress slightly on the copy. You can do full disc or movie only copies.

My workflow has been to use MTR to extract, then use DVD2OneX2 to create a copy, and then use Handbrake to encode for iTunes/AppleTV/iPad with MetaX for tagging. AFAIK there is no one Mac software that can extract/strip and copy together. MTR is the best for the first step.

9. Ccrew macrumors 68020

RipIT in compress mode utilizes the Handbrake CLI to rip then encode in one step.

10. Sedulous macrumors 68020

Sedulous

DVDFab has a DVD rip/copy/compress/burn feature. I have not used all of its features but the rip function works very well (puts Mactheripper to shame).

11. ELMI0001 macrumors 6502

ELMI0001

dvdfab worth the price?

12. Sedulous macrumors 68020

Sedulous

It is fully functional for a period of time. So you can give it a try. Even after it expires, many of the functions still are available (I only use it for ripping anyway).

13. ELMI0001 macrumors 6502

ELMI0001

Cool. I'll check it out. Looking to rip my movies and the kids movies. Can't get Handbrake to properly rip any Baby Einstein DVD's.

14. bhadaway thread starter macrumors newbie

bhadaway

Yeah, so far I've found this article:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/125996

Which pretty much outlines my worst fears. That's definitely a ridiculous amount of work every time just to make a copy of a DVD.

I'm loving Mac in most every way except for the fact that the popularity of Windows means there are always going to be far more programs for it.

DVDShrink / Nero combo is hands-down the easiest way to make a copy of a DVD. Once you have it setup you only open one (yes, just one) program, DVDShrink, check a few boxes to remove stuff you don't need or want and then everything is automated thereafter.

If DVDFab can truly do the job, and I'm assuming I'm looking at this program:

http://www.dvdfab.com/dvd-copy-for-mac.htm

then it's DEFINITELY worth the money.

Thanks

15. Sedulous macrumors 68020

Sedulous

That guide you linked to is about seven years out of date. Give DVDFab a try (as I noted earlier, it is fully functional for a period of time so you can try it out). I know it is a better ripper than MacTheRipper, it does do DVD compression, and I know it can transcode to various formats. I have not tried the transcoding feature myself (I did all my DVDs many years ago using Handbrake) but like Handbrake, DVDFab does have device specific presets. DVDFab is also cross-platform. The only thing it doesn't seem to offer is meta-tagging.

16. bhadaway thread starter macrumors newbie

bhadaway

That tutorial is definitely old, but not out-dated. From all my research it still feels just about the best that can be done for free on a Mac anyways.

Just tested DVDFab and it's perfect. Does absolutely everything all-in-one. Back in the young and poor days of Windows I would have done just about anything to get it done free.

But now that I'm an adult who can afford software I've been willing to shell out cash for much needed software. I certainly love open source and most of the code I write myself I even go one step further and make it public domain.

There's a lot of great free software out there that's better than paid alternatives for sure, but in this case I think simply convenience costs $$$.

So the bottom line is that if you're willing to pay DVDFab looks like the best possible choice unless anyone knows of any other reliable all in one DVD copying software I'm sold.

Thanks for the recommendation.

17. Sedulous macrumors 68020

Sedulous

Glad to help.

The tutorial is a bit out of date. In the very least, MacTheRipper has been supplanted by even the free DVDFab features (such as DVD ripping).

18. bhadaway thread starter macrumors newbie

bhadaway

Just a heads up, using the coupon code FABMWOFF I managed to get a lifetime license for $50.

Not exactly cheap, but anyone looking for the same convenience I was, this is about your best choice.

Thanks

19. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

Could you share your setting, please? I might want to back up my DVD this way.

20. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

Slysoft's CloneDVD is pretty good as well - have you tried running it using Crossover?

That said, Ripit plus a few automated actions should accomplish much the same thing.