All in one Laser Printer advice

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Koodauw, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I am looking at picking up a laser printer/copier/scanner for my home office. I mainly print documents, and and scan them as well. Usually no more than 60 pages at a time.

I figure a laser printer would be best for this.

I talked to an epson rep at Best Buy, and he seemed to know a fair amount. he said that for laser pritners Brother was the way to go. I was thinking something like the Brother MFC-7360N or MFC-7460DN. I dont really need any sort of networking printing though.

Anyone have experience with either of these all-in-ones or have one they suggest? I don't want an ink jet.

2. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I have a pretty high end commercial class color laser printer with the multi-function option (Xerox 6180MPF-D). It is OK for casual scanning... but most (if not all) of the MFPs only do half duplex scanning. If you really think you will be scanning a lot, I suggest getting a good sheet scanner that supports full duplex scanning. The difference is night and day.

I have a Fujitsu S1500M which is superb. I do more than 99% of my scanning on that device vs my multi-function Xerox printer.

/Jim

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The Brother MFC line is pretty good. I have an older model I bought 2 years ago and it's still going just fine... haven't had to replace the toner yet. Works wirelessly for scanning and printing without needing to plug into a router via CAT5.

4. Koodauw thread starter macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Any issues with the scanning? I wouldnt use it a ton, just when I dont have time to run ot the office.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

None. Image Capture recognizes it over the wireless network as an available scanner. The only annoying thing is that there seems to be some bug with Brother's wireless implementation; if the printer is "asleep" it doesn't wake up when you print or scan unless it's plugged into the router via ethernet cable or USB. If it's purely wireless you have to go and wake it up by pressing a few buttons.

6. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

Another vote for a Fujitsu scanner. I use an S1300 which has a tiny footprint, fast scanning and excellent OCR software. The S1300 can also be run off a USB port, but that slows it down a bit. It's small enough to carry in a small bag.

7. beeinformed macrumors 6502

Hi,

I am interested in buying the Fujitsu S1300 scanner and I would like to find out if this scanner recognizes the "image capture" on your mac computer?

8. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

I assume that you can use Image Capture but I don't know why you would want to do so. I use the included ScanSnap Manager software. It offers more scanning options than Image Capture because it is designed for the ScanSnap scanners. ScanSnaps scanners offer simplex (one-sided) and duplex (two-sided) scans at various quality/speed settings. You can also scan directly into a variety of programs including Evernote, Word, Excel, etc. Users can create custom scan profiles too.

9. beeinformed macrumors 6502

Hi,

Thank you for replying to my question regarding the "image capture" program on the mac computer. You mentioned in your reply that you can scan a document directly to word format. Can you also edit the same document (i.e., replacing the letters, words, sentences,etc)?

I have text documents that I would like to scan directly to word format and would also like to have the ability to be able to edit these documents, if I need to. I'm not sure if this is necessary to complete this process but I have iworks 2011 installed on my computer.

Thank you again for responding to my inquiry and I appreciate it if you could let me know if I can edit text documents in a word format as I would like to get the Fujitsu scanner very shortly.

10. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

Sorry, I cannot answer your question because I never use Word. I usually create searchable PDFs. You can probably find an answer at the Fujitsu Web site or by contacting tech support.

11. southerndoc macrumors 65816

southerndoc

I also like the Brother MFC series (have an MFC-9970CDW). My only complaint is it doesn't support AirPrint.

12. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I have never used the "scan to word" function of my Fujitsu S1500M. I just tried it as a test to give you some info. I placed a sheet in the scanner, and pressed the button. The first thing that happened was Abby Fine Reader opened up, and displayed a message "converting the PDF to word", then a few seconds later, Microsoft Word opened and the test was in the word document. I edited it a bit... so it was not just an image... it was text within the word document.

Abby Fine Reader is bundled with the S1500M. I had never used it before.

I hope this helps.

/Jim