All-In-One Printer for under $90

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MacMini2009, Jun 25, 2009.

1. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

I recently bought a 2009 Mac Mini and now I need a printer. I've been looking at Canon and HP. Can anyone recommend a good quality printer, under $90, has cheap ink, and is a All-in-one printer? I will mainly use the printer to print reports and pictures.

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Why didn't you get the $100 rebate printer with your Mac Mini?

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

We own two HPs...we got the Officejet 5610xi for about $90 a year or so ago, and just recently picked up the Officejet J4550 for about $60. Both were from Costco.

We've been quite happy with the 5610xi. The J4550 has been pretty decent for printing and copying so far, but we haven't really put it through its paces yet.

4. MacMini2009 thread starter macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

I bought my Mac Mini off Amazon.com because of no tax/free shipping.

Nice, I might just go to Costco and check out the printers.

5. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

You shouldn't just look at the price of the printer - you may well be on a budget, but if you could pay, say, $20-30 more, and end up getting more life out of your inks, wouldn't you want to do that?

The really cheap printers are going to have a 3-color single cartridge for the most part. If your cyan runs out, but you still have lots of magenta and yellow left, you STILL have to throw away the cartridge, and end up wasting a lot more ink than you think.

Instead, try to get a good HP that uses the 564 or 920 series inks. They usually have 4 individual inks, so if you run out of a color, you only have to replace that color, and you waste FAR less ink.

Check out this deal at Office Depot (looks like it's good through Saturday) - HP Officejet 6500. It's $119, with the individual cartridges, and good printing quality for photos.

Also, remember that you'll generally get better quality images if you use the same paper and ink brand (so HP printer and HP photo paper, for example.)

Hope this helps!