All-In-One Printer Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by iMas70, Mar 11, 2013.

1. iMas70 macrumors 65816

I have an HP PSC 1315 all in one printer that is almost out of ink. It works good but is at least 8-9 years old and for the cost of replacement ink, I should just buy a new one. Any suggestions? I don't print a lot. Just need it to scan and copy once in awhile and print and print things (mainly copies of bills). I don't know if I would print pictures if it hand the ability so that's not high on my list. I believe some can print wirelessly now which might be nice. I'd like to keep the cost under $100.00.

Thanks!

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I recently bought this Canon MX432 all in one and have been very happy with it for the price. Software works just fine on OS X and it supports Airprint for iOS devices.

3. Giuly, Mar 11, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2013

Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

The Epson Expression Home XP-400 and the Canon PIXMA MG3220 are on sale right now and are the two least expensive printers with AirPrint (which means that you can print from your iPhone over WiFi, too).
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    If you want to up that, the Epson Expression XP-600 offers auto-duplexing (prints both side of the page automagically), prints faster than the XP-400 overall and does photos in higher quality.
    The top of the line offering is the Epson Expression XP-800 with an automatic feed, Ethernet and a build-in fax.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Apple sells you these Epson printers along new Macs, so you known that they're decent and well supported.

4. iMas70 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thank you VERY much!!! I forgot about the Epson printers. I saw those listed when I was shopping for my Mac Mini a few months ago. AirPrint will come in handy!

----------

Was just researching the XP-600 and found this -

Epson lost me. They have error "print Pads Full" and you have to pay someing to fix it. It error out, after it prints set amount again.
    Even downloaded fix, printed 1-time, then stoped.
    Printer is slow, sometimes, even when printing B$W.
    Color prints well, but not on shiny surfaces.
    BUYER BEWARE of ALL EPSON PRINTERS>....
    No where will it say, that it will turn off and not let you print, after # of prints.... Epson didn't care,,, when I called them up...

Anyone experience this?

5. Giuly, Mar 12, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2013

Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Here's a description of that from Epson.

It means that the pads that hold excess ink are full. Newer printers tell you about it, older printers just start to smear at some point.

They can be removed and cleaned (or replaced for about $10), and there is software to reset the error afterwards — but it's unlikely that you will ever run into that, as it was a problem with the Artisan printers and has been improved for the new Expression series.

6. iMas70 thread starter macrumors 65816

I found the XP-600 on sale for $94.99. I usually don't print pictures but if the quality is good from it, I might start doing that. Any feedback on this and on the printer in general? The XP-800 on Amazon's site is tempting but it's extremely rare that I need to fax something. Seems like that would be the main benefit of that.

7. troy14 macrumors 6502a

They are good printers. I like the older Artisan 837 model because I have it hooked up to a Continuous Ink System (CIS)....saves a ton of money. Also look into refillable ink cartridges..

8. mohawkapple macrumors member

mohawkapple

i just bought this one last night at best buy on sale for $108 seems to be good so far.

Attached Files:

9. iMas70 thread starter macrumors 65816

I picked up the XP-600 today. Works fine with my Mac Mini and can also print from my phone and iPad while at home. The one thing that I can't figure out is how to get it to print from those devices while I'm away from home. I believe that's possible but can't figure it out yet. Any tips on how to do that?

Thank you!

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Airprint only works over the local network. You might be able to do this with some additional software/service like Google Cloud Print.

11. AshMan macrumors regular

whatever you do stay away from the kodak printers. sure the ink is cheap, but it uses it soo fast...

If I myself were to buy a new printer, I would probably have a hard time picking one... I've had printers from all brands over the years. I would suggest you go to an office superstore type of place and ask if they can test print the ones you are interested in. go for the one that best suits your needs.

12. troy14 macrumors 6502a

With Epson you can download their Epson print app for your iPad/iPhone. You can also set up your printer so it has it's own email address (Epson feature) and send anything to that email and it will automatically print!