All in one video downloader?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Jedi5, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Jedi5 macrumors 6502

Jedi5

Hi everyone.

Wondering if there is an all in 1 application/software someone can suggest to download videos from VH1, MTV, Yahoo, Youtube, etc...

I've read ways to download vids from Youtube but I'm looking for an all in 1.
    Sometimes Youtube works and sometimes it doesn't.

Currently using Replay Media catcher on my PC but I'm moving from PC to Mac.

2. jackerin macrumors 6502a

I know of no application for OS X that can record http-streamed Windows Media or RTMP streams. For Youtube and other progressive download "streams" Safari will work fine with finding the file in the activity monitor and alt-doubleclick.

3. Jedi5 thread starter macrumors 6502

Jedi5

Thanks.

I also could not find anything.

So what sites will the "activity monitor" technique work on aside Youtube?

I usually download from the sites I mentioned.

Anyone know of any way to download RTMP streams?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not the "Activity Monitor", which is an app you use to see what's running on your computer. It's the Activity window in Safari.
    • When you're on a site like YouTube using Safari, click Window > Activity.
    • That will show you a list of items on that web page. If you do it as soon as the page opens, you'll see the video by the file size, which is usually the only file over 1MB, and will look something like this:
    • ScreenCap 1.PNG
    • When you find that, hold the Option key and double-click the file name to start the download.
    • After it finishes downloading, it usually won't have a file extension, so add .flv to the end of the name.
    • Done.

It doesn't work on all sites. You'll just have to test it with your favorite sites to see if the files are downloadable.