All-In-Ones and Airport Express

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by BothBarsOn, Mar 9, 2008.

1. BothBarsOn macrumors regular

Hello all,

Can anyone recommend a cheap all-in-one printer, scanner, photocopier that they know (from experience) works with Airport Express and Leopard? My ancient HP PSC 1210 doesn't, that's for sure!

BTW, I know that only the printing function will be available wirelessly. That's all I care about really, but I would like to have photocopying and scanning functions to hand for very occasional use.

Thanks in advance - sorry if there's already an answer somewhere on the forum. I looked but didn't find ...

2. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

Airport Express is just flaky enough that you never know what will work.
    Leopard has had lots of HP driver issues, so hold on to it - it may yet work.

3. BothBarsOn thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for replying. I'm not holding my breath on the HP, though ...

4. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

My HP6540 works fine with Leopard over my Airport Express. Okay so it's not an all-in-one, but no evidence of HP driver issues here.

Well, the driver has some annoying features, courtesy of HP, but it's had those since Panther.

SL

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

You can always try this guys method, with the reinstall HP drivers edited out...

Of all the things I've done, I'm convinced that what fixed it was resetting the printing system. A forum linked to from another place I posted this question mention that it helped others. I found how to reset the printing system in Leopard by searching for it online.

For good measure, did the following:

(removed)

* I went to System Preferences > Print & Fax and right clicked on the left had sidebar. The contextual menu had the command "Reset Printing System". This warned me that it would delete all my printers. I said OK. Sure enough all my printers were gone.

* I re-set up the HP 6210 while connected directly through USB using the HP setup Assistant. This process adds the printer both as a printer and as a Fax in System Preferences > Print & Fax.

* I opened the print queue and the utility and print a test page using this direct method.

* I disconnected the HP 6210 from the computer and connected it to the Airport Express.

* I went back to System Preferences > Print & Fax and clicked on the plus sign to add another printer

* (additional note) In the resulting dialog box, I tried adding the printer as an IP printer (using the Airport Express' IP address) but for some reason could not find the right driver (I was looking for one with the term "OfficeJet"--more on that below). I picked a different driver knowingly and got a weird message about the software being incomplete. Sure enough, printing to this new printer added this way with the wrong driver did not work at all. I decided to try the OS's own automatic way to add the printer (see below).

* In that same dialog window referenced above, I clicked on the leftmost icon (I think it says "Default") and the (at this point wireless) printer was already on the list as a BonJour printer. I made sure to give it a different name than the already added, direct USB connected (same) printer by adding the word "wireless" so in the printer list and print dialing windows and it's print queue it's called "HP OfficeJet 6200 Series wireless" as opposed to "HP OfficeJet 6200 Series" which is the original direct connected (same) printer. And the driver the OS picked automatically is "HP All In One 5.3.1" (as far I can remember--it could be something a little different).

Likely bonjour will fail to find it, HP printers and wireless seem to be giving people trouble.

6. BothBarsOn thread starter macrumors regular

I'll give that a go, thank you - but confidence isn't high!

To return to my original question, does anyone know of any other all-in-ones (non-HP, to be on the safe side) that print properly over Airport Express? I think I read good things about Canon somewhere ...

7. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

8. BothBarsOn thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I'm aware of the iFelix list, but I don't trust it. My current printer is listed as being compatible and it just ain't! That's why I was hoping to get the word from some horse's mouth ...

Thanks anyway, I appreciate the reply.