All Internet Browsers Constantly Freezing

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ItDoesntMatter, Jul 25, 2009.

1. ItDoesntMatter macrumors newbie

Everytime I try to visit a webpage with content that isn't only text i get the hourglass and have to force quit both firefox and safari. What can I do to Fix This?:confused:

2. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

can you give us more information?

which browsers.. how long have you used them?

you can try to click on the Safari menu and click "Reset Safari..."

3. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Are your Quicktime, Flash, Java plugins updated? Its probably one of the media plugins that's out of date if you are getting that in both web browsers.

4. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Uh, we need more info:

1) What kind of internet connection speed
    2) What computer model
    3) What versions of your system software
    4) What versions of Safari and Firefox
    5) Are others where you are experiencing similar issues (local service provider issue)?

5. ItDoesntMatter thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok,
    Cable internet from wi-fi
    Macbook tiger 10.4.11
    firefox 3.5.1 safari 3.0.4
    All the sudden it just started freezing and i don't have any 3rd party applications or much on the macbook.
    *EDIT*- and of course no one cares...

6. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

7. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

WE care. However, WE are similarly baffled. However, my old iMac G4 has been very laggy with the internet, particularly graphics/Flash-heavy sites. Reboot, reset PRAM, clear out the caches, run Disk Utility and repair permissions...all the usual stuff.

If all else fails, do what I did and get a MacPro ;)

8. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

For Safari, try this:

1. Download OnyX (a free maintenance utility).
    http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/11582

2. Open OnyX and Click Cancel on these two Alert Panels:
    -Cancel the S.M.A.R.T. Box
    -Cancel the Startup Volume Box

3. Enter your Password

4. Click on the Cleaning Tab

5. In each tab, within the Cleaning Tab, execute the command. Check all the boxes in each tab. When its finished in that tab, it will ask you to reboot. Say NO. Go on to the next tab and repeat until all tabs, within the Cleaning Tab, are done. THEN REBOOT.

9. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

Who is all using the WiFi, more than just you :confused:

10. Nora58 macrumors newbie

web browsers freeze after 1 -2 sites

Hi,
    I too am experiencing browser freezing - both Firefox & Safari, just in the last few days. I have a Mac Intel, run OS X 10.5. I have cleared my cache through the Terminal (I think I followed instructions ....!). No change.

If I reboot, I can open browser and access a few sites, excellent speed, but after changing sites between 1 and 4 times, browser freezes. I get an error in Safari that says I am not hooked up to the internet, but I am (Novatel rocket stick through Rogers, Canada). FF just hangs. If I reboot and reconnect, I can surf a few sites again until the same thing happens. I haven't done anything weird or different. I may have allowed a FF update to be installed.

Any suggestions would be S-o-o-o-o greatly appreciated :eek:

11. Dyani macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am having the exact same problem Nora58 is having and it's driving me insane. I've tried all sorts of things to fix it, but no luck.:( I've got a macbook pro (Mid '09) and I've installed all the updates so that can't be it.

If anyone could help I'd be eternally grateful!

12. sphere macrumors newbie

same problem

I'm having the same problem with every one of my browsers--safari, firefox, and camino. I'm thinking it has to be a plug-in that loads with the launch of each app. The only thing I can think of is a video plug-in update I ran a few days back; the problem began shortly after. I don't remember the name exactly, but I believe it had silver in the name, and I believe it was a microsoft product. If anyone knows how to find & remove that particular plug-in, I'd be eternally grateful.

(posting from my wife's macbook, on the same network. No problems on this mac, running the same platform, same apps, same network. Only thing different is that the plug-in wasn't installed on this unit.)