All iPhones have same battery?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by coolwater, Jun 9, 2009.

1. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

Besides the old 8GB 3G, all new 3GS iPhones will have same battery regardless of the model/GB difference?

Second question: For those of you who have used your iPhone for 2+ years, how is your battery life these days comparing to when it was brand new?

2. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

the 3GS will have the same battery as the 3G, it's just that the processor is more efficient. And my first gen phone's starting to wear down. Not near the same as it used to be.

3. actorkid macrumors 6502

the battery on my original iPhone has definitely gotten worse over the past two years

that said, however, i can still make it through a whole day with no problems...more than one day...you might be in trouble

4. con500 macrumors regular

I get around 1.5 days on my 3g, with moderate use...However it still amazes me that my G/F 1st gen has amazing battery life in fact just looking at it just now it has 8hrs 37min of usage and stand by is at 2 days and 21 hrs and the battery has around 30% :confused:

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

We have no way of knowing this yet, right?

What I'm thinking of is the Pre teardown from last week. Apparently some of its parts (like the main logic board) were smaller than the version in the old iPhone 3G.

So if the Pre can get smaller parts, why can't the iPhone 3GS? It's entirely possible that the new iPhone had a little extra space inside. And if that's true, why wouldn't they try to fill it with something else? Something like a slightly bigger battery?

I have no idea, but it sure seems possible. (Also, the new battery life times seem too good to be just "more efficient parts" to me.)

6. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

no way of knowing exactly. But they both have the exact same cell usage times, and the 3gs has extra non-cell times (ipod, games, wifi).

7. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

Exactly.

Both phones get 5 hours of 3G Talk Time.

So the battery can't be THAT much better, if at all.

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Then how do you explain the wifi time going from 6 to 9 hours? (50% better)
    Or Video playback going from 7 to 10 hours? (40% better)
    Or Audio playback from 24 to 30 hours? (25% better)
    Or 2G talk time going from 10 to 12 hours? (20% better)

So it comes down to this: What option do you think is more likely?

1) They made the wifi chip use 1/2 the power it did before and improved all that other stuff by 20% - 40%.

2) The battery is better and most stuff sees the results of that, but the newer, faster 3G chip takes more power than the old one did so it's the one component whose times work out the same compared to the older phone.

I'm gonna go with option #2.

9. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

Well when you put it like that.

:D

10. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I mean, I'll be the first to admit that I have no idea.

I'm just showing my notes so you all know what I'm thinking! But yeah, I don't claim to know either way.

11. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

Well, I honestly agree with you now and disagree with what I thought.

It plumb makes more sense and I keep forgetting about the faster 3G network.