Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
So for as much flack that the new Maps app is getting, I'm actually finding that is actually has some useful upsides as well.

For example, if I zoom into the local corner here near my house, it shows me a few businesses on which I can tap on and then get all sort of information, like phone number, website, hours open, photos and Yelp reviews. On the old Google based Maps app, it shows businesses, but I can't actually tap on any of them (have to do a specific search for a place and once it drops a pin, then you can tap on the dropped pin for the info).

It's weird how each show different restaurants and shops though, on the same intersection and while Google does show more shops, neither shows them all.

Apple Maps:

Mi Familia Mexican Food
Hot Bagels and Deli
Walmart Neighborhood Market

Google Maps:

Mi Familia Mexican Food
Kawaii Sushi
Walgreens
Roadrunner Bikes
Canyon Dental

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
Another feature I found out about last night and something the Google Maps version didn't have is that it auto-completes the name of the business as you type it which is very useful.

I think the features of the new Maps app are much better than before, it's the content that seems to be lacking at this point but I'm sure it will get sorted out.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Another feature I found out about last night and something the Google Maps version didn't have is that it auto-completes the name of the business as you type it which is very useful.

Google Maps has had that feature for years. Google integrated it to all their searches quite a while go.

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
Google Maps has had that feature for years. Google integrated it to all their searches quite a while go.

On the iOS app? I'm pretty sure it didn't have it. I'll have to go check my 4S that is still on 5.1.1.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.