Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
we've invested a fortune in apps and we're all in with the whole eco-system.... iPhones, iPads, mac, macbook air, apple tv....

plue i just like the iPhones! OH... and security... say what you will about the app store.. but unlike google, you don't have to worry about virus and crap getting onto your phone!

Ramrod82

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010
I'm not using a Note 7, but I am using an S7 Edge at the moment. I still like iOS and I still swap my sim out into my 6+. I watched and listened to the iPhone 7 keynotes because I don't see myself committing to just one OS. I don't have issues switching back and forth.

Some argue iMessage is a reason... but none of my iPhone family/friends care if my text bubble is green or blue. Most of my friends and family that own iPhones have unlimited text anyway. The only people that complain are my international friends, but they mostly use whatsapp or hangouts. Facetime is another... I hardly ever facetime friends or family... I don't want to see their faces... and I know they don't want to see mine... LOL. The only people I like to facetime with are wife and kids. That isn't an issue... we have hangouts to video call if we really need to... or I'll just use my iPad. I use a 3rd party 1TB cloud that syncs pictures automatically from my iDevices and my S7 Edge... and it's cheaper than iCloud. My wife uses Amazon to sync her pics... and she is using a iPhone 6s. As for music... I use Apple Music on my S7 Edge and 6+. I don't download music or movies/videos anymore. Streaming is the norm for me now... UDP helps. Some carriers even let you stream some services without counting against your data bucket. Download music and movies is waste of storage space for me now.

I think iOS does better in performance, but I giggle a little at the Samsung vs iPhone speed test app race videos. Building computers, overclocking, and benchmarking is one of my hobbies (rig in sig). Most benchmarkers look at scores based on screen resolution monitors. Want a good score? lower your resolution. Doesn't bother me how long an app opens when it loads high graphics on higher resolution screens... if it performs the same on both devices after it's opened... it doesn't matter. Only thing that matters is what resolution do you want to enjoy the app in? I personally don't have a preference between my iPhone and S7 Edge screens... so I would prefer apps opening faster. However, I don't open apps side by side with my S7 Edge and 6+... so I don't notice the difference.

As for the iPhone 7... I liked what the direction Apple is going on the future of the iPhone. I would have preferred a newer design since I had the 6+ since launch. The missing thing I think that would have made the iPhone 7 complete is fast wireless charging. That at least would have given us an option to charge while using the lightning port with the wired ear buds... or 3.5mm headphones via lightning adapter. Fast wireless charging is probably my favorite feature on the S7 Edge. I don't even use the charge port for charging... the only time I use the port is when I use my Gear VR.

Personally... if you feel iOS is better for you... the iPhone 7 isn't a bad phone. On the other hand, the Note 7 is a really nice phone... so why not enjoy it for a year. I don't think it's a bad thing if people skip the iPhone 7... if Apple loses enough regular iPhone customers this time around... they might push harder to innovate on the next iPhone to win our business back next year. I'm looking forward to 2017 iPhone... but I'll enjoy my S7 Edge and 6+ until then.

I have been on the edge (no pun intended) since the release of the N7. I love the S7edge. I always grab my friends phone and play around with it. Yes the screen is great! It is imo saturated, not as realistic as what I would expect from say a 1080p or high quality screen, but still looks amazing!!! My only reservation from switching from my 6s plus to the edge or the note, prior to the note issues, is that I have a my MacBook, iPad and Apple TV and a crappy Windows 10 laptop let's not forget ah ha. I guess I am one of the few who enjoys iTunes. Yes I HATE they still lock my movies, complete BS!!!! COUGH UNLOCK THE DRM COUGH....But I live with it. I have had many android phones...the last was the note 5...kept it for a month prior to launch and yes I regret not keeping it longer to an extent, but it was an impulse purchase. Prior to that I had the S6 Edge for about three months and loved it!!! Except for two things...first battery life sucks on most android phones. You have to practically preform surgery to get the settings right, but what made me jump to the note 5...keep in mind I had the note 2, 3 as well as the original for a long time and loved them...so I thought I was making I smart move switching, but still that edge screen was awesome! Yet the phone would get so hot even with a case I couldn't take it anymore. It wasn't lagging, but over heating. Then the note 5 for me was a disappointment because it just lagged and I missed iMessage, iTunes as well as other apps that ran smoother on the iPhone 6 Plus. I decided to get the 6s plus due to the fact that I can turn it on and "it works!!" No worries, no lag, nothing! It does what I need. At the end of the day you need to ask yourself what you will be using the phone for. Taking pictures? iTunes? iMessage? Battery life important, etc. there is no perfect phone. I may jump up to to the 7 plus in a month or so, we will see, but I'm happy I can download apps for iMessage for android that will connect to my Mac and iPad if I decide to switch back to android anytime soon. Sorry this was so long, I'm just sick of the fanboy crap!! Let's be real guys the companies are out to make a solid product at the end of the day and could care less what we complain about on here. Take care!

Reactions: erayser

pish6969

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
Let's be honest people and cut to the chase. Very simple...android sucks and Samsung makes a garbage phone.

Everyone being so politically correct. It's not even comparable

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2007
I'll be honest with you . I really want that Note 7. I think it's beautiful in every way and I love you can use the pen without turning the device on and saving that to your always on screen.

It's probably the phone I should be buying. I say should.

This is the problem and another reason why Apple moved to lighting cable for headphones:
LOCKED ECO SYSTEM

Consider this:
  1. I have an Apple watch - I religiously use Apple pay and love the Apple Pay on my watch.
  2. I use Notes app with my work computer and I have an ipad pro 12 inch which means the notes i take with my pencil is on my computer right away which is on my phone right away.
  3. When I take photos at work from my dry erase marker, i can easily import to notes right away.

I use all of Apple's products in a cohesive way.

This means, as much as I would love to try the new Galaxy Note 7 - I can't.

Also,
I have spent too much money on apps to start all over again.

Also,
I don't like knowing that the dude next to me has Nougat while I'm still on marshmellow.

Reactions: nj1266

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
If it was me, paying a premium for Samsung is silly. If I'm going to spend that much money, I'll go for an Apple anytime since I deserve to be treated better if I'm paying that much money.
Reasons for Apple:
- Worldwide warranty (no other phones can match this)
- Better support
- Longevity in OS updates
- Synergy with other Apple products

With Samsung, you are paying money just for the device, Support is abysmal, not much better than other much cheaper Android OEMs. So if I'm looking for Android, I rather go with the likes of Motorola or even Xiaomi. Good enough Android phones with fractions of the price of Samsung.

First Post G

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2011
NYC
Lol. I wouldn't say that. They cost the same don't they? Plus 90% paying on a payment plan of some sort. No one feels $35 per month

Fair point, but the number of iPhone sold (at least in the US) far outweighs the number of high-end Android phones (which wealthy and/or educated can afford). A Note or Galaxy may cost close to the same as iPhone, but they don't even come close to the same sales figures. Lot's of lower end Androids get sold, resulting in nearly a 50/50 market - iPhone vs All Android...

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
So, not due to the recall, but outside of that, what would be a reason to get the iPhone 7 plus over the Note 7?

I currently have the Note 7 and do really like it, but it has been recalled and I have the ability to switch to the iPhone 7 Plus. I seem to bounce back and forth between Android and iOS and can never feel fully satisfied with either one.

The Note 7 will get fixed, so wondering what reasons you think are the main reasons to go with the 7 plus over the Note 7 since the Note 7 on paper, and even in some hardware features are more impressive than the 7 Plus?

Note 7 has a better screen, wireless and fast charging, better waterproofing. The camera system may end up being a wash, although I do like the telephoto lens on the new 7 Plus. Just wondering if there were reasons you'd pick the 7 plus over the Note 7 besides saying it doesn't explode. Looking for some constructive feedback. I'm getting the itch to come back to iPhone, but not really unsatisfied with the the Note 7.

Thanks everyone!
iOS 10 has some great improvements and yet in many ways is stale. iOS is still a very functional system for a phone. Same can't be said of the iPad. As a Mac fan, it pains me to say that the Surface Pro full blown OS, angled keyboard and mouse outshine the iPad and show how the iPad is limited after all these years by continuing to be limited by iOS. A hybrid macOS/iOS on the tablet is much needed.

But on a phone, iOS trounces Android. There may be some features of Android that are nice haves and some specs of Samsung phones that by themselves seem nice, but on the whole both Samsung and Android take great opportunity and piss it away with some key mistakes and flaws. Yet it can't be avoided. Open source gives you freedom and greater variation but greater imperfection. Closed source give you a better ecosystem at the sacrifice of some choice and unfortunately sometimes that means that innovation sufffers a bit.

iOS is in need of removal of the springboard interface. The grid of icons and folders should be replaced by a Safari pages like tiled app switicher that is scrollable with 6 apps in view. The iOS 10 Notification Center widget pane is already unmanageable. Widgets need to be grouped and invoked by notification tiles and 3D Touch lists. Navigation needs to be paramount in iOS 11.

Reactions: erayser

pixel_junkie

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2015
the number of iPhone sold (at least in the US) far outweighs the number of high-end Android phones

And? Most popular sports in US are football and baseball while the rest of the word prefers the real football (soccer) and Formula 1. High sales in US don't indicate anything more than the fact that Americans are sheep and can't think for themselves very well (which Apple are exploiting to the max)

First Post G

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2011
NYC
And? Most popular sports in US are football and baseball while the rest of the word prefers the real football (soccer) and Formula 1. High sales in US don't indicate anything more than the fact that Americans are sheep and can't think for themselves very well (which Apple are exploiting to the max)

Looks like I found a Android troll!!! your post history is just despicable. Maybe your upset because your note left you with severe burns.

I'm ***** around here and stirring the pot. Calm down, nobody cares what you have to say. Exposed.

scott5626

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2013
0 Carrier Bloat
Virtually no lag
Quick exchange at Apple Store
iTunes
Speaker quality
Polished apps
Possibly better camera
Re sell value
Battery life

I could go on and on but these are some of my reasons.

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
0 Carrier Bloat
Virtually no lag
Quick exchange at Apple Store
iTunes
Speaker quality
Polished apps
Possibly better camera
Re sell value
Battery life

I could go on and on but these are some of my reasons.
Most of those reasons I agree with, and reasons why I still use my 6+, iPad's, and other apple products. I like tech... so I buy other brands and enjoy them just as much. Yes, I went to the dark side with the S7 Edge... and I admit that iOS is smoother... which is why I still use my 6+ when I'm in the mood. My S7 Edge isn't as smooth, but it doesn't suck to where it isn't usable. I use the same apps as on my 6+, and all the apps work just as well. However, I'm getting really good Battery life on my S7 Edge... which is why it's my daily driver at the moment.

I just took screenshots (below)... Over 17.5 hours on battery...off the charger since 6am to 11:30pm isn't bad... and I was using it pretty heavily today... I never turn on wifi... used over 5.4gb of data today streaming videos, music, email, texting, browsing, calling... and still have 21% battery left. This is pretty consistent since I bought it.

I've had every non-s iPhone since the 1st gen... so intend to go back to the iPhone again... but not this round. S7 Edge feels like an upgrade already to me. The iPhone 7/7+ is missing the one thing that I'm enjoying on my S7 Edge... fast wireless charging. Hopefully the next iPhone will have this feature... it would be nice to have the option to wireless charge while using the lighting port for aux out or wired headphones.

batt_usg090916.png

data_usg090916.png

It's past 12:30 am now... and my S7E is now 18.5 hrs off the charger with 19% battery left... For as much as I used my S7E today... doubt my 6+ would last that long.

Reactions: khha4113

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Not arguing, but as I said. Wasn't it very recently (a couple weeks ago) discovered that all the 7 series Samsung phones to be not as water resistant in the real world than claimed to be?

While fast charging sounds nice, not necessarily a requirement. The 7 and 7+ are going to last longer anyways and it doesn't take long for iPhones to charge. Plus all newer iDevices can be somewhat "fast charged" via the iPad charger brick. It's enabled to do so technically, it's just never really advertised.
It was the S7 active but that was defective and Samsung have fixed it. Anyhow the rating doesn't bother me. All I want to know is that I can use it in the rain or near water without worrying that it's going to get damaged.

So whilst the iPhone 7 plus is adding a lot of features that were already available to me in my s7 edge. They mean more to me on my iPhone because it's my daily driver, it runs iOS, it integrates with all my other Apple stuff. The S7 edge was a side device for me. One that I didn't even bother putting my main SIM card in because I was never going to use it as my main device/ did not want to mess up iMessage.

Reactions: MRU

HickDead

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2011
Let's be honest people and cut to the chase. Very simple...android sucks and Samsung makes a garbage phone.

Everyone being so politically correct. It's not even comparable

Android does suck donkey nutters, I'll give you that but you are way off in regards to Samsung's hardware. In fact they make the best smartphones in the market. Unfortunately it's just crippled by a buggy and worthless OS in Android

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
Android does suck donkey nutters, I'll give you that but you are way off in regards to Samsung's hardware. In fact they make the best smartphones in the market. Unfortunately it's just crippled by a buggy and worthless OS in Android

The exploding batteries are made by Samsung.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
This is a tough choice for me. After having the Note 7 since it was released, I will be returning it after I get my iPhone 7plus delivered. I still feel as if each decision has its own set of significant compromises though. But here are some of my reasons why I chose the ip over the N7. Who knows if I'll not like the ip7 and will end up going back to the n7, or maybe googles next phone. But these are just my thoughts at this moment in time. I do hope this thread stays constructive and doesn't degenerate into "Samsung sucks". I'm always amazed that the person typing something like that doesn't realize how moronic they sound, but I guess that's why they are moronic.

Carrier interference/late updates: My Note 7 is missing key features such as Samsung cloud and caller ID because Verizon would rather I pay them a monthly fee. This is unacceptable and if Samsung doesn't have the balls to curtail this sort of ridiculousness then they don't deserve my money. Verizon also completely changed around how the settings are, they are totally different than touchwiz. Bloatware is an issue, although I don't mind it that much, but still an issue. Probably the most onerous are being shackled to the carrier for updates. Having an update release 8 freakin months after Google releases it is absolutely unacceptable.

Lag: Yes I said it, no I'm not making it up or exaggerating. My Note 7 lags. How do I describe lag? It's just random slowdowns in actions. The best way to describe it is like a windows computer with not enough RAM, sometimes it's smooth and other times things just slowdown. It rarely affects functionality, mainly being annoying.

Messaging: Messaging is a JOKE on Android. Although samsungs messenger app isn' terrible, actually it's quite decent. Hangouts is a complete joke. Surprisingly Verizon Messenger is actually very good, so a weird positive point there for bloatware. But none of these come close to imessage in sheer simplicity. If Google can't get messaging right, if they can't stop releasing multiple half baked messaging apps, then they don't deserve my eyeballs.

Security: Seeing how hard Apple fought to not release a backdoor to its OS really impressed me. I don't plan on committing a crime on my phone, but it's good to know that at least Apple has my back as in this world you never know what may happen.

Information gathering: Apple, as a hardware company, has much less need of my personal information. I'm sure they gather plenty of it, but I just have more faith in them than Google for keeping my information private.

mute switch: I love the mute switch on the iPhone. I'm sick and tired of hitting my volume buttons by accident and turning off mute, then having my phone ring at the most inopportune times.

customer service: Well I don't really need to expound on samsungs customer service, we all know it varies from barely acceptable to atrocious. There is no physical store you can simply walk into with your issues. Their screen replacement cost is substantially more than Apple's. You have to send your phone in and wait weeks to get it repaired. In my experience when you call you get someone from a foreign country often with a thick accent which is annoying (no I'm not racist so don't try to play that card). Of course you can fall back on the carriers, and this has worked well for me in the past. But will you have an issue if you didn't buy the phone from them? I'm not sure, I haven't but others have stated they have. I'd rather not have to wonder.

Now with that said there are many compromises to having Apple as well, these factored in my decision:

Widgets: Without a doubt widgets are what sets Android as an awesome OS. The ability to see at a glance an incredible amount of information is irreplaceable. iOS widgets are nowhere near Android widgets in functionality. But I do see iOS catching up slowly, they finally have widgets at least. But still I will dearly miss my Android widgets.

UI: I find Android to have a superior UI. Firstly iOS' way of just regurgitating pages of similar looking icons is terrible. No I'm not going to type in the search bar to find my app, sometimes I don't know the name, other times typing may just be inconvenient. In virtually every other OS in existence for any other device, pc, tablet, smartphone, etc there is someway to arrange your desktop for quick information. Whether it's live tiles on windows, widgets on android, a taskbar in windows, everyone has moved past where you just have icons. Apple has improved here with folders, their action pulldown, their widgets page, etc so I'm hopeful they will continue to improve. But as it stands today Android is still vastly superior.

Walled garden: Apple goes to great lengths to keep you in its software and hardware walled garden. No USB-C, proprietary chip in the airpods, etc.

Bezels: Yeah this is a huge compromise. The bezels on the iPhone belong in 2012, I can't believe how massive they are. To think that the Note 7 has a larger screen in a substantially smaller phone is nuts. This is one area where I'll constantly be reminded of my decision.

Hardware: Sure the ip7 runs rings around the n7 in sheer horsepower, but for day to day stuff and reality who cares. Ignoring the lag on the note 7 for a minute, because that's due to poor optimization of touchwiz and not a lack of modern hardware, once things get going they are both quite comparable. But Apple is really behind in other hardware issues. Screen to body ratio, screen resolution, AMOLED, always on display, VR functionality, wireless charging, etc. We take some of these features for granted until we go back to an iPhone.

Last edited:

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
As someone who doesn't own either device but owns both a Oneplus One and an iPad Air 2, I can't think of any other reason than you like iOS better.

I've used the Air 2 as my tablet and the Oneplus One as my phone for a few years now and when it comes to app quality there isn't much difference. After material design on Android apps have become a lot more consistent in UI. You will find better examples of specific apps for each device, for example in my experience there is no Reddit reader app for iOS that comes anywhere even close to Sync for Reddit on Android.

For performance there isn't much difference between the two operating systems. My OPO runs super smooth and aside from apps and browser tabs sometimes reloading due to hitting RAM limitations on the iPad Air 2, that also runs really nicely. At least trying in store the Note 7 has also ran without a hitch. We are at a point where most better smartphones run just fine. The SD 810 chip was a low point for Android phones and phones using that truly ran like crap in my experience but I can't say the same about the current Exynos, SD 820 or the preceding SD 801. You can wank over GeekBench scores all you like but in reality you are unlikely to notice those differences in real use.

As a design the Note 7 is better than the iPhone 7 Plus. Bigger, much higher res screen, more comfortable to hold due to smaller physical dimensions. The curved display is an unnecessary gimmick but it's nowhere near as annoying as on the S7 Edge. I don't like the front fingerprint reader/home button on either device and would love to see these two manufacturers place it on the side like Sony or on the back where on large phones it's easier to reach.

The Note 7 battery incident was unfortunate but it's complete bull that whatever fanboys keep bringing that up over and over again like broken records. Samsung is going to make it right and it's not like the iPhone hasn't had its own set of issues like the "touch disease".

At this point I'm not very happy with where Apple are going. They are not bringing anything that worthwhile to the table (for example their cameras were already very good) and are trickling down things that have been on flagship Android phones for a few years now, such as wireless charging or waterproofing. I would not be surprised if they introduce wireless charging as a huge new feature for iPhone 8 and have the 7S fully waterproof instead of just resistant.

Likewise with iOS they don't seem to bring features that are worthwhile to me at least. By comparison I'm interested in most of the major features of Android Nougat even though I have to wait for someone to make a ROM for my phone. Things like multiwindow and improvements to usability are far more important to me than anything I see in iOS 10.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Only reason to get a Verizon jet black iPhone 7 Plus is to flip it for a profit due to initial demand and constrained supply. Verizon version has the better Qualcomm radio that's unlocked to work on all carriers and not Intel's 1st gen carrier-limited guinea pig modem. You wouldn't want to keep the jet black because it'll develop micro scratches which Apple has already warned about and the other colors look like cheap spray on paint. Also, unless you get the jet black people will mistaken it for 'touch disease' iPhone 6 Plus. Dual camera 2x zoom is gimmicky and the software isn't complete. Zooming with feet is faster and simpler. Vibrating home button is gimmicky too like 3D touch which is no longer mentioned. Same boring big bezel design with ugly c-section lines for three generations. Still no wireless charging but 3.5mm audio was removed so no listening to music and charging without carrying a bunch of bulky dongles around. Even with 3.5mm removed it's only IP67 so lower than IP68. AI is airheaded compared to the competition. Services and navigation are still 3rd class. OS is limited like it's still for iPod with no split view multitasking, no PiP, no background multitasking, etc. And, it's penless. It's a jumbo iPod that can make calls.

The smart ones will flip a few Verizon jet black iPhone 7 Plus' and get a free Note 7 or upcoming Note 8.

#RadioGate
#MicroscratchesGate
#IncompleteSoftwareGate
#StaleDesignGate
#GimmicksGate
#DonglesGate
#AirheadedAiGate
#JustAJumboiPodGate
#PenlessGate
#WaterGate

Last edited:

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
I'll be honest with you . I really want that Note 7. I think it's beautiful in every way and I love you can use the pen without turning the device on and saving that to your always on screen.

It's probably the phone I should be buying. I say should.

This is the problem and another reason why Apple moved to lighting cable for headphones:
LOCKED ECO SYSTEM

Consider this:
  1. I have an Apple watch - I religiously use Apple pay and love the Apple Pay on my watch.
  2. I use Notes app with my work computer and I have an ipad pro 12 inch which means the notes i take with my pencil is on my computer right away which is on my phone right away.
  3. When I take photos at work from my dry erase marker, i can easily import to notes right away.

I use all of Apple's products in a cohesive way.

This means, as much as I would love to try the new Galaxy Note 7 - I can't.

Also,
I have spent too much money on apps to start all over again.

Also,
I don't like knowing that the dude next to me has Nougat while I'm still on marshmellow.

Can you guys stop saying LOCKED ECOSYSTEM for ****'s sake? The damn iPhone 7 comes with an adaptor so you can use wired headphones forever.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Can you guys stop saying LOCKED ECOSYSTEM for ****'s sake? The damn iPhone 7 comes with an adaptor so you can use wired headphones forever.

"If you see a dongle, 'they blew it'."

Steve Jobs

If Apple really cared about wireless and convenience they would do wireless charging. Removal of 3.5mm audio is just proprietary lock-in greed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.