All Mac Desktops Refreshed, but...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by minus.toes, Oct 17, 2014.

1. minus.toes macrumors member

With the iMac and Mini now finally getting their updates, and the MBPr's having been updated not too long ago, it seems the right time to buy into something. But the problem is I'm not sure which route to take.

I am starting fresh here, with no computer at the moment. While the MBPr is a nice unit, I don't require the portability, so seems pointless to buy into the premium just to keep a mobile solution on a desk at home.

The Mac Pro is way overkill, so I can scratch that.

What I'm tussling with are that the Mac Mini seems way low end in the internal components department, and Apple currently has no updated monitor to pair with it.

And the iMac seems to be a really nice upgraded monitor, but kinda so-so with internals for the price they are asking. Not to mention I had an iMac a few years ago, and it was the biggest POS I've ever owned.

As you can see, I feel like I'm having to make the least bad choice, rather than a good one.

My needs are two fold - general stuff such as email, web, and word/excel/etc. And on the other end - photo editing. No video stuff, no music stuff.

In theory, I know I could go with either of the low end Mini or iMac. Just without a monitor to pair with the Mini, it's a waiting game for me. And my last bad experience with the iMac leaves me not enthused to jump into another one.

2. imaccooper macrumors regular

imaccooper

I am a mac guy and like them very much, but from what you have stated there is nothing apple is selling that you like (at least that you can afford). If that is the case then it sounds like you should go with a windows machine. If you are firmly set on a mac, I would suggest the newest mini for your purposes. You were pretty adamant about not wanting an iMac but it may also be a good option to look at the previous model to find a good discount. As far as the display for your mini, the only potential need for any type of advanced display is photo editing but i would guess that you still have no need for any of the 4k or 5k stuff. There are plenty of good options for screens from dell, samsung and many others depending on your needs (5k monitors down to old 4x3 screens) and the apple thunderbolt display isn't too bad either. The point is, don't buy a computer that you are not happy about getting. If that means you need to buy a PC then buy a PC. If that means buying a mini, buy a mini. If that means buying an iMac and smashing it with a hammer to take out your anger from their previous injustices to you, go for it. My advice would be find a machine you are truly excited about buying, then buy it.

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

The Mini is a good starter Mac and is capable of photo editing easily. That being said, I think a good iMac is your best bet.

4. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

Yea just buy the iMac and be done with it. It'll do everything you need it to, it looks nice, and will have decent resale value compared to a winbox.