Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wiz kid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2015
Since upgrading to Yosemite, my 2010 MBP is unable to play video files of any kind on any app other than QuickTime. I prefer VLC player to QuickTime for a number of reasons, but it just freezes/spinning wheel when I attempt to load a video file. Same goes for mplayerx and a number of other apps I tried to download both on and off the sandbox.

In other news, when I try to log off to switch users, mac goes to a black screen, no cursor etc.

Also, sometimes when trying to revive the mac from sleep, it will go to an illuminated gray screen, but then quickly back to a black screen. This happens when I press esc or the power button.

I have reset pram, smc (I think), used an app to free up as much ram as possible, still these problems persist. I have repaired disk permissions as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

wiz kid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2015
Yes, and it works intermittently and randomly, but mostly just immediately the pinwheel begins turning upon startup

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Then I would suspect the disk the video files are coming from, try a repair permissions and a verify disk in Disk Utility - how old is the disk?

drew627

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2013
He said the same files play in QuickTime but not other video players, so it shouldn't be the files or the disk?

I have the exact same problem with MPlayerX. It starting happening around a week ago. MPlayerX just stopped functioning completely, but QuickTime still works. I've also tried reinstalling the app, repairing permissions, etc., but to no avail.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.