All-mode-dress friendly 17-inch backpack

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Sesshi, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

It's pretty rare that I have to carry the 17-inchers around these days, but the need has increased a little recently and when I do I'm not really fond of a shoulder bag.

Perhaps it's an impossible, but I'm looking for a backpack that'll comfortably accomodate 16-17-inchers (specifically, Apple's old/new 17-inchers, Dell's XPS 16 and Precision M6400) with accessories, and are classy enough to wear with a suit/coat but also suited for the more casual, slobby dress that I can fall into.

I have a couple of hard bags from Axio, but not only are they 'barely fit' for the 17-inch notebooks (The M6400 doesn't actually fit without a potentially worrying amount of pushing and pulling), their look is more casual, and more than once I've had friends asking me why I'm carrying a vaccum cleaner on my back :eek:

I also have a regular, strap/zip-laden backpack which comfortably accomodates all the laptops, but I don't really use for anything other than my laughably rare cycling outings.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Yeah, they have that look, don't they :D.

Booq makes some nice more-grown-up looking ones - sort of a less-vaccumy axio style with no cramming required because they don't have the hard curve in them the axios do.

3. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

I've been using the equivalent of this pack for 5 years, traveled all over the world with it, and has been to functions both formal and casual and is built like a rock but doesn't scream "I HAVE A $3K LAPTOP!!!"

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I will politely but firmly taunt by stating that is is never, ever, fashionable to wear a backpack of any kind with traditional business attire.

OTOH, those things are huge and so I do sympathize to some extent. Still never fashionable.

5. Sesshi thread starter macrumors G3

Sesshi

What would you suggest?

My inner Carson Kressley vetoed this:

[​IMG]

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Something that weighs 1.5 kg at most and a briefcase. ;)

But I do approve of the radio flyer. That would be my second choice. :)

7. Sesshi thread starter macrumors G3

Sesshi

Yeah - a bit fugly to be honest. I have a Targus bag which is regular backpack-looking, what I want is something sleeker but practical.

The Booq is a possibility - but it didn't jump out at me, I have to say. Anything else would be appreciated.

8. ashjamben macrumors 6502a

jansport has a few bags that feature a laptop sleeve. mine fits my macbook with neoprene sleeve pretty snug (trinity i think it was called) but there may be one thats bigger. i suppose a black one would look pretty smart.

9. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

I have the perfect bag for you:

Noone would want to steal you MBP then:
    [​IMG]
    :D

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Do you have THIS one? Looks decent.

Sorry for the Aussie link. That store has lots of good bags, so if you just want to find something that looks good, find it there and purchase it in the US. ;)

Does THIS look good to you?

11. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

YOu have to see it in person, it's a lot more low profile than the site suggests.

12. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

I know it isnt a backpack but something that is nice is this:

Attached Files:

13. Sesshi thread starter macrumors G3

Sesshi

Thanks. Unfortunately I am not 12.

I did glance at the soft Axio cases when I was buying the hard ones, but they didn't necessarily seem to be significantly more accommodating. Thanks for the reminder though, I'll have to check them again just in case it does work.

The B3L was the link I was looking at thanks to the link above yours - it's likely the front runner right now in the absence of anything more eye-catching.

Heavy and douchebaggy? Yes indeed - I have many very battered Zero cases. These days however, wishing to hide my innate doucheness and realising the limitations of cold-rolled aluminium (worked to be stronger than the MBP packaging pound-for-pound, by the way - and even that's not enough) as a material when there are better options available, I prefer to use Hardigg plastic cases.

14. apersianboyCOM macrumors 6502

I'm still looking too... I ordered the booq mamba pack last week from amazon and when it got here I was shocked how huge it was... it was like a suitcase with straps! even my Mum laughed at me! so it was straight back in the box and returned the same day!

15. Tosser macrumors 68030

How about this:

http://www.saddlebackleather.com/categories/79-SaddleBack-Leather-Briefcases-Leather-Bags

Depending on what size and colour you choose and how "off" you allow it to go, you can go more or less "douchey", as much or as little as you like.
    Oh, you have to ignore all the marketing speech on his site and not be too offended when he puts a pamphlet on his evangelistic faith in your bag when shipping [sigh!].

Anyway, they look good, imo, and the strap can be used as backpack straps. Heavy, though.

Edit: He also has "dedicated" backpacks, which - he says - "fits most 17" laptops":

http://www.saddlebackleather.com/categories/84-Leather-Backpacks-SaddleBack-Bags

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Wow, the luggage cases/suitcases look amazing.

17. wahoo10 macrumors 6502

Ever thought of getting a cheap messenger bag for work, and getting a backpack for play? Or switching the cheapness?
    Either way, I suggest getting a black bag for work, they're more professional