Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drummerdimitri

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2008
Hello guys,

I've been using msn messenger on a windows pc, but as soon as i switched to using my mac, I noticed that all my contacts on my msn list have been blocked and no matter what I do, I cannot get them to unblock. I have googled my situation and it seems that many other users are facing the same problem, but none of the solutions that I have read solved my problem. I am very frustrated and this happens on any messenger, even on a pc. Can anyone help me out here?

Thanks!

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
I've said this many times before and I'll say it again.
Messenger for Mac is a dire program. It hardly works, makes fans blow, clunky interface and fills your documents folder with crap. I'd advise using alternative software such as Adium for MSN unless webcam chat is needed.

If webcam is needed, consider using iChat (AIM) or Skype. The problem with that then is that you have to convince your MSN contacts to change chat client.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I've said this many times before and I'll say it again.
Messenger for Mac is a dire program. It hardly works, makes fans blow, clunky interface and fills your documents folder with crap. I'd advise using alternative software such as Adium for MSN unless webcam chat is needed.

If webcam is needed, consider using iChat (AIM) or Skype. The problem with that then is that you have to convince your MSN contacts to change chat client.

I'm going to have to disagree with you. The basic functionality works, where it runs into problems is customizing. With ver.7, custom/status messages rarely save, display pictures don't always work. Ver.7 also left out video/audio messaging but that's all fixed in ver.8 - a massive improvement and on par with it's Windows counterpart. As for making fans blow, I'd check your system because I've heard many complaints of Windows Messenger being unstable but never about taxing your computer so much that your fans had to come on. If anything, Skype would make your fans ramp up with video/screen sharing. Folders in the documents folder has to do with Office in general (if you have it installed) but even if you don't, I don't see how 2 folders is considered clutter.

But if you're not happy with Windows Messenger, Adium is a good alternative.

drummerdimitri

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2008
I never ran into problems with windows messenger on mac except now. The thing that bothers me the most is that I get the same problem when using a windows computer. This is becoming really frustrating and I need a solution real quick!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.