ALL Music Deleted from iPod

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Viajero, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Viajero macrumors newbie

It's completely gone, gigabytes and gigabytes of it.

I accessed iTunes directly via my iPod and downloaded a couple of free podcasts. When I went to listen to some music a few hours later, the new podcasts were there (in addition to one that was already there) but all of the music is gone.

I haven't connected it to a computer in weeks, so I couldn't have sync'ed with an empty library. I'm running version 3.1.2 (7D11) and though "About" screen says there are 0 songs, it also says that there is only 9.2 GB available of 29.6 GB, so it seems like the music is still there, somewhere.. does anyone know how to get it back?

I'm traveling long term through Mexico, so popping down the Apple store isn't an option. Thanks for your help!

2. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Try rebooting the iPod Touch and see if the songs come back. Otherwise, you are going to have to connect to the computer you sync it with, and verify that you didn't accidentally turn off syncing with your music library.

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

How long has it been showing you have no music? I've had that happen in the past, but a reboot usually fixes it.

4. McBeats macrumors 6502a

u didnt plug it back into itunes?

i had this happen to me for the first time last night, kinda freaked out but then i brought it back home and plugged it into the computer and it worked again.

check to see how much free space is on ur ipod (via istat or whatever), if its still all taken up, then the music is still there.

5. Skeeter112375 macrumors newbie

Mine does this roughly once a month. Its all still on there. I plug in my ipod touch, close itunes shut off the ipod, reopen itunes, reboot the ipod touch, then it normally reappears on the touch. Occassionally it doesnt fix it the first time, but it always comes back without having to restore everything. I'd like to know what causes it though. Good luck!

6. Viajero thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the tips, but..

Try rebooting the iPod Touch and see if the songs come back. Otherwise, you are going to have to connect to the computer you sync it with, and verify that you didn't accidentally turn off syncing with your music library.

Re-booting is the first thing I tried (and twice since). No joy.

I'm in Mexico. My computer is in California. I will not be back in California for a couple of months at least. Sync'ing is not a possibility.

How long has it been showing you have no music?

At this point, four days or so. I noticed it was gone, though, the first time I used the iPod after downloading the podcasts.

u didnt plug it back into itunes?

No. See above re: California vs. Mexico.

I plug in my ipod touch, close itunes shut off the ipod, reopen itunes, reboot the ipod touch, then it normally reappears on the touch.

No computer, no iTunes, no sync.

check to see how much free space is on ur ipod (via istat or whatever), if its still all taken up, then the music is still there.

As I noted in my original post, there is only 9.2GB free, indicating that the information is still there somewhere. What programs would you recommend to pull the music off the iPod? Hopefully that would allow me to put everything back on without losing anything.

7. Skeeter112375 macrumors newbie

Your music is still there. Theres just a software glitch that makes it 'disappear'. I've had 2 iPod Touch Gen 2's that have done this multiple times. All my experience with this situation is you have to have the original iTunes account that its linked to. Its frustrating, I know. :)

8. Lunchbox700 macrumors regular

My gen1 did this a couple weeks ago except it erased everything not bought on the ipod. I never got around to restoring it though because it fell in the toilet and has gone away and made me pick up a 32gb yesterday so sorry not much help with you.

9. Viajero thread starter macrumors newbie

I have the original iTunes account login information, just not the computer itself.

Am I completely boned here? It's going to be a long vacation without music.

10. phillipjfry macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

been a long while since i've posted :p

take any song on your itunes, rename it, edit the title/artist/genre/lyrics/anything
    then resync
    then your music will show back up

it happens to me ALL THE TIME!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad:
    car rides suck without my ipod working

11. Viajero thread starter macrumors newbie

Fixed!

Ok, so if this happens to you and you can't resync for whatever reason (why does no one actually read my original post? I was very clear on this point) here's how I fixed it:
    1. Download Sharepod
    2. Upload all music onto computer
    3. Delete music on iPod
    4. Put music back onto iPod
    5. ????
    6. Profit!

Perhaps this should have been obvious from the get go, but I'm kinda pissed that I had to spend 3 hours going through this whole rigamarole.

12. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I'm one of the first members to recommend sharepod (search sharepod on -aggie-), but you said you had no computer.

13. mannix87 macrumors 6502

I was about to suggest what you just did, but since you figured it out already, good for you :)

14. adis macrumors newbie

IP4 you can use pwnage, Tiny umbrella or a Cydia restore to get the firmware without a BB update. You can get double protection on the IP4 by downloading the official ipsw. USE tiny umbrella and the phone in DFU mode with an option restore or shift restore to the IPSW and pull the internet cable from the computer as soon as the restore starts. Tiny umbrella does not sign the baseband so it will not upgrade and it is not possible for apple to sign it since you have no internet. You will get a 1004 error and you need to use tiny umbrella to kick the phone out of recovery